Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Not Starting up 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jott1127

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2003
US
My home computer is not starting up and I was wondering if I may get a few ideas of what it may be. When I turn it on the 5 Case fans and both the processor fans turn on a start spinning. The hard drives turn on and everything but nothing happens, no BIOS, nothing on screen. This is not the first time this has happened though, several times in the past I would have to power cycle the computer several times before it would actually startup, no nothing will happen no matter what I do.

Sorry to waste your time if this a common problem still new around here. Thanks for any response.

This can be just about anything in the machine.
Slow power good will create this but generallly it will POST after reset switch is pressed.
Shorted reset switch will hang the system.
Some will not boot with memory problems. Try reseating the memory. Multiple times to break thru corrosion.
Try reseating the processor.
With power off, unplugged, make sure the video card is seated on the loose end. They tend to try to work out of the slot. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Just tried all the methods you suggested and none of them seem to be the problem. Also rebuilt the computer from scratch and that appears to not be it either. The one thing that comes to mind is the power supply but I don't think that is the prob because initally when I turn the computer on there are 3 extra case fans dual processor fans a CDRW drive, a DVD Drive, 2 7200 Rpm Hard drives, and a floppy drive, and they all will turn on when power is applied.

I then dropped the system down to just power no case fans and one CPU attached to one HD and a floppy and still no dice. The Mother board seems to be working properly also according to Antec's way to see if the MB functioning properly.

Let me break down the system for you
Tyan S2460 Motherboard
256 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram
Radeon 8500
Pioneer DVD
Pioneer CDRW
Antec 400Watt PS
(2) Athalon XP 1600 Processors
Sound Blaster Audigy
D-link NIC
3 case fans in a SOHO case

Please anyone with suggestions I would be willing to try anything! Thanx

Just because you have power does not mean there is nothing wrong with the power supply unit.
Just changed a unit in a system that was having problems similar to yours, odd ones.
Ed is completely right in everything he told you.
If the computer can be rebuilt, start with ONLY ram, motherboard,keyboard, video, floppy drive with boot diskette, and power. NO HARD DRIVE.
See if you get post code beeping etc.

If not, one of these is the problem.

If it boots fine, add one thing at a time and retry.

I once had a system that wouldnt boot no matter what you did with it, and the cause was the SOUND CARD. An unlikely culprit, but true all the same.
GOOD LUCK Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Go back to basics.....Disconnect everything apart from CPU/Fan, memory, graphics card, keyboard. If you still get nothing(no screen)then reset BIOS....usully a jumper on the board next to the battery. If you still get nothing then you need to test these items further. It`s a starting point. If your unsure....Dont do it!

mistanapesis READ the post!
jott has already REBUILD it from scratch ! If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Marcs41,....if YOU read the post you will see that he has rebuilt...but has done so with all the items connected. I say start with the minimum and work up from there. If your unsure....Dont do it!

And what you just said was posted by KimberTech
Please don't start an argument in here, that does not help anyone, I saw you duplicate posts in many other posts.
Over and out If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

jott,
everything you have mentioned runs off +5 and +12. You can have both of those and be missing +3 as a separate supply that is the core voltage for the processor chip. This on some machines, I don't know if yours has that requirement.
Your motherboard manual should have the specs, and it may require a voltmeter to check the available voltages.
Everything you have done points in that direction. Not a guarantee, but a good starting point. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back