Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer not processing a .CAB file

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
I have a computer that everytime I go to install Windows it says it can't process a start-up .CAB file. Windows says that this is due to an error with my hardware. I have switched hard drives, ram, but everything else is built on-board. I was wondering what I could do to fix this problem. Thanks Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

Howdy:

Have you disabled the on-board (BIOS) anti-virus program??

Murray

At this point windows is trying to expand the CAB file and the CRC is failing.
This means that

1- The media is duff - install the CD onto another machine or try decompressing the CAB file it mentions using WinZip.

2- The motherboard/CACHE is duff. Go into the BIOS and disable all onboard caching (internal and external).

3- Your overcloking the CPU/Cache or bus. Get it back down to normal.

4- You have a virus. Get a DOS checker like F-PROT and scan the system.

5- Overheating CPU

6- CDROM drive duff.

Also why are you reinstalling ? Did you have problems before this?

HTH

Ash.

When I tried to boot up my computer it said it wouldn't boot because of a corrupted .CAB file. So I tried to reinstall windows. It still mentioned the corrupted .CAB file and said it was something to do with my hardware. I did have a virus on that hard drive so I reformated and tried again. It still mentioned about the corrupted .CAB file and said it was my hardware. I changed hard drives, ram and removed the modem, everything else is onboard. I went to install windows on a different hard drive again with the .CAB. Thanks for all the help so far as it has been greatly appreciated! Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

your CD may be scratched. CAB(inet) files are accessed during setups and when the system is looking for new hardware drivers. it doesn't need CAB files to bootup after installation. it should not be trying to open CAB files everytime you bootup.

when i install windows os, i format the drive and MD (win9x)and copy all the CAB files to that folder. then do CD to that win9x folder and type setup, it's faster installing from the harddrive than it is from a CD. if it still gives that error message borrow someone else CD and overwrite that CAB file.

also it you type setup /p g=3 (it will show all the resources of the detected devices along with progress bars)

there are many more setup switches (type setup /?)
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back