Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer not displaying all computers on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadrunner

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
US
I have one computer on the network whereas it will not display some computers that are on my workgroup network. I've tried turning the firewall off and back on, made exceptions in firewall for filesharing and it still won't display some of the other computers. All of the computers in question are windows 7 computers. I then tried another computer that is on the same switch and it will display all of the computers. I then decided to try another network card on the computer in question with the same failed results. I then swapped out the disk for another one and it works fine, so I have some type of a issue with windows7 on this one computer. I ran windows update to make sure that wasn't the issue, but still no luck. All of the computers in question that should be displayed on the network map I'm able to ping them.

I'm able to connect via the ip address of the computer in question, but not via the computer name

OK if I connect \\xxx.xx.x xxx, but not if I try \\acme.
We have an internal dns server. When I do an ip config /all the display on a working and non working computer all looks the same.

Any thoughts?

Quadrunner,
try ipconfig /displaydns
and arp -a
are they different on a working and non working pc?
hth
regards,
longhair

They are quite different between the working and non working pc.

When I do the arp -a command on the working computer a lot more ip addresses are being displayed for the ipv4 address.

When I do the display dns the display is quite different as well.

On the computer(s) that you are unable to see on the network, open the Network and Sharing Center, click "Change advanced sharing settings", and make sure "Network discovery" and "File and printer sharing" are both turned on for the active network profile. That would explain why you can connect manually by IP but not by computer name.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Make sure network type is set to WORK or HOME and not PUBLIC as well.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Also, if you are manually configuring ip adressing (NOT using DHCP)

go to adapter settings TCP/IP IPv4 properties, advanced, WINS tab

put a dot by enable Netbios over TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back