Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer networks

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is mean of ping config?
want to know about pinging step by step?
want to know about different type of network with figures?

the meaning of ipconfig is just a command in dos to know what is the IP address of a cretain PC....
pinging step by step?
if you want to know if your connected to a certain network and if you know the certain IP address you can try to ping it to troubleshoot if you are really connected.

Need directions to hook up a Linksys router to two computers that will be networked together on broadband. Sorry everyone. I am in school learning this stuff, and we are not on routers or networks at this time, that comes later on this year. Second quarter. This is for a friend of mine. Who's daddy is having fits cause the place he bought it from said it came with good instructions.

TIA

I have a linksys router myself. If you have the same one I do it has a integrated 4 port switch. You need to connect the ethernet cable from the cable modem into the WAN port on the back of the router.

If you have the DSL one you have to plug the dsl line into the smaller port that says WAN - should be the same size as a regular phone.

Plug the other two computers ethernet cable into the other ports. Then you need to right click the network neighbodd hood and set the tcp/ip settings on all of the machines.

DCHP is the easiest. You can go into the TCP/IP settings and set it to obtain ip from server.

you need to sign on to the admin page of the router.

Most likely is 192.168.1.1.

look in the book for the user name and password.

Then set your setting go and find the DCHP. Enable it.

Then you setup the main page for your ISP setting for your internet connections. And that is about it.

Restart copmuters or do a release and renew. to have it obtain the new ip, and subnet.

Hope this helps you out

This is the "book" method promoted by Linksys. At our house, we want to share files and a cable modem link, so we have the cable modem connected to one of two ethernet cards in a desktop machine, and the second ethernet card is connected to one of the four ethernet ports on the Linksys router. We connect 2 laptops to the network using Linksys PCMCIA cards, sharing files and internet access. The laptops are configured to get to the internet thru and intermediate machine. All computers are running XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back