Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Name on desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popsea

MIS
Jun 24, 2002
US
Is there anyway to setup a login script, policy group, etc that will display the computer name on the desktop? It would make things a whole lot easier when helping a user.
Thanks

Not sure what OS you're using, but this works with NT. This will replace "My Computer" with the username and computer name.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}.
Select the <No Name> value and Delete.
From the Edit menu select Add Value.
Leave the value name blank and set the type to REG_EXPAND_SZ.
Click OK and enter the text &quot;User: %USERNAME% on: %COMPUTERNAME%&quot;.
Click OK.

You will have to refresh the desktop afterwards.

will that work on Windows 2K and 98?

Thanks,

I'm not sure because I don't have a W2k or Win98 machine to test it on. But the fix should be similar and you should be able to put it in the logon script or push it to workstations using a utility such as Dameware.

Pat Bradley

MCSE+I, MCP W2K

The istructions appear to be incomplete. I do not have the option to &quot;Add Value&quot;

It also won't let me have a blank value name.

You can use REGREAD from the system Resource Kit to read the registry key containing the CPU name. Then if the name ever changes for any reason, your Regread information will always be current and accurate.

Regedt32 will give you the option to add the value. This works in (at least) Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0.

in win9x it was regedit
go edit new then the type of vaule you want to add

gunthnp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back