Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Management without Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twantrd

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Hi,

I have a couple computers in a home network (no domain controller present) and I would like to connect via computer management to my other workstations from my main one. I tried doing so and when I try to connect to another computer it will say "access denied" or something of that message (not @home right now). What do I need to setup to get this working? Please let me know. Thank you!

-twantrd

Hmm, thanks for the link but I don't believe the other computers are running service pack 2. I think I need to edit something in the group policy but not sure what is needed.

-twantrd

Is the Remote Registry Service running?

Have a look at any firewall that may be blocking MMC.exe.

Hi linney,

Thanks for your replies. Actually, I can connect to the other workstation but I can't open up anything. For example, when I try to go to:

1. Click on "Services and Applications"
2. Dbl click on "Services" in the right pane

and I see "Unable to open service control manager database on 192.168.3.4. Error 5: Access is denied".

How do I allow access to this? Thanks!

-twantrd

Is the connecting username an Administrator and using the same username and password as the remote computer you are trying to manage?

Could you use Remote Desktop as an alternative to manage these other machines?

No, the computer is connecting to the other workstations is the Administrator of that local machine. I'll make the same user name across all the machines. I'll try that and let you know.

I'm not using remote desktop because I know how to set that up and it works. I'm just trying to learn different ways of managing computers :). Thanks for the help.

-twantrd

You definitely need the same Username & Password to exist and have administrator priv's on both (all) machines for that to work, and to be logged in using that username.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back