Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMPUTER MANAGEMENT PROBLEM PLEASE HELP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

root666

MIS
Nov 8, 2002
US
I go into computer management and select groups on win2k machine I click on administrators then change the pull down box from local machine xyz active directory machine zyx pick a user and click add and I get an error processing of object Domain users failed with the following error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Please note I can PING
I can see all computers on active directory server
I can log in from main log in using any user that has been set up on active directort server

Thankyou
jr

Try this at a cmd prompt (note - it wraps around in this post, but just type it all in at the cmd prompt):

net localgroup administrators "NetBIOSDomainName\DomainUserName" /ADD

Basically - substitute the NetBIOSDomainName for your domain name, then add the username after the backslash.

If that works, It's most likely a DNS issue. Try adding the AD server to the DNS server(s) of the machine that the local group resides.

Hope that does it..
pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hello PBXMan,

I'm having this same issue -- your suggest of using the Net Localgrop /ADD command works like a charm, but I naturally want it to work from the GUI. I'm not clear on what you mean by "Try adding the AD server to the DNS server(s) of the machine that the local group resides."

I might just be missing something, but my primary DC and DNS server are one in the same and have run well in the past. Do you have a suggestion in this case?

Thanks!

This helped me too. Thanks so much.

P.S. I'm not exaclty sure were our DNS server is so I'm pretty sure that our dept. server hasn't been added to it. Yes, it's sloppy - just haven't had time to send that request in yet. (I'm a learn as I go type, I guess it's close to "click and destroy" Gotta love these forums ..[peace]

We have a win 2k network and one of the users is unable to do certain specific tasks.

She accesses all her files from our server. She can use her quickbooks budget with no problem. She can ping all the computers in the network. She can open all shared folders.

The problem:
It takes 10 minutes to print to a network printer (that uses the same hub)
and when she access her excel and word documents from her folder on the server it freezes and takes another 5 minutes.

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back