Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Locks during playing of AVI, WMV (not mpg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirkpatrick

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
US
I am running Windows XP home (SP2) and have a continual problem of my computer locking up during the playing of any AVI, WMV, or DVD files, but not MPG/MPEG files. I have reinstalled Windows XP several times and am using the NVIDIA gForce 64 card with the latest drivers. Music plays fine but video causes the computer to completely lock up where I have to do a "hard" restart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brendan

Hi,

I had the same problem, i think the problem was that i had a weak power supply, (250w) so i went out and brought a 400w power supply for £40. I also updated my bios.

Everything runs fine now, so it was either outdated bios drivers for my geforce card, or a weak power supply, i think it was the latter.

what is your power supply?

Per Nvidia, the only thing I need to update is the drivers which are current. Also, did not have the problem when I was running Windows XP PRO, it is only with the home. I don't know how the power supply is going to effect the video playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back