Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsoule

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
I have a PC that keeps restarting. It runs fine in Windows but when I try to back up a program to ZipDisk or a network drive it restarts itself. It restarts itself several times when backing up to the zip disk. It only restarted once when I tried to back up to a NT drive. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jsoule

Hi there, just a thought, have you tested all your hardware and backup software? Done all the usual updates (Software, drivers, firmware etc)? My pc used to restart intermittentley and it was one of my memory sticks, I removed it and all was fine so I'd suggest maybe testing your zip drive/network card if it is happening when you use them. How are you backing up? Using software or just dragging and dropping files? What program are you trying to back up?

Sorry for all the waffle :)
Nat

Thanks Nattylou,

I will try checking the memory. We are backing up out DOT logs on an old program called TRIPFAX. We are backing it up to our network and onto a zip disk. Thanks again.

Rock on
jsoule

Hola,

if you are running either W2k or WinXP I suggest you go to IOMEGAS homepage and download the newest drivers for the ZIPper, as I recall awhile back I heard about problems with ZIP drives and XP/2k...

Ben

We are using WIN98 SE. It almost seems like a problem with the CPU getting too hot and causing the pc to restart like it does. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I woiuld appreciate them all.

Thanks,
jsoule

Take the side off the case and use a desktop fan to blow cool air straight onto the components, this should verify, or rule out overheating as the possible caurse.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back