Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer keeps on re-starting over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdRev

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
US
I accidentally disabled my video card driver when I upgraded from Windows 95 to windows 2000. Now my computer just keeps on re-starting over and over, without displaying the desktop.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed,

You could try going in to safe mode, setting the video card to the windows standard VGA driver there.

That hopefully will give you the, windows desktop, but with only 16 colours and 640 * 480 resolution.

Now try installing the correct video driver..

Good Luck

Paul

THANKS PAUL,

Can you tell me how I can go to safe-mode. The computer just keeps on re-starting.

Try holding down the left control key during boot up. It should then have a list of a few options. One of them will be safe mode. If that doesnt' work it's one of the Fx keys. F8 maybe? I can't remember. Justin
Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

press F8 before the splashscreen(in windows 98) comes up, or if your running windows 95, then press F8 when you see: Starting Windows 95" -- then choose "Safe Mode" I laos had this problem a few years back when upgrading, although my end soution was a very serious and costly one ... I had unintentionally cracked my MB when fitting the new Video!(was still very inexperienced at PC repair)

Try going into your computer in safe mode, and then re-installing your video card driver. Then restart your computer and boot up the normal way. That should take care of it.

If you managed to install Windows 2000 F8 still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back