Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer is laughing at me

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMittens

Programmer
Dec 20, 2004
CA
While the subject may seem funny, the problem really isn't. Whenever I turn on my computer, I get the sound of a child laughing. It's not a clip I've downloaded, all Windows sounds are disabled. This problem coincides with one of my six HDDs completely failing on me.

I'm scanning for viruses now, but am not having any luck. All processes seem to be normal, and there's nothing really out of the ordinary.

Anyone ever hear of this?

That's pretty crazy. It's similar to my problem, but I've never noticed it before. And I should have, since I don't use a CPU fan. I have watercooling, and as such I don't have a fan plugged into the motherboard header. I'll plug in a case fan into it, and see what happens the next time I boot up though. Thanks for the link.

Remember that if the voltage rails go out of tolerance you have the same issue, it is not confined just to the fan.

Do you have a Shutdown script linked to an old 98 logoff sound event? If I remember correctly that was a laughing child sound but it also included a couple of musical chimes too.

If you have the sounds disabled it has to be in the THEMES...Right click on the desktop/properties/Themes and if it has anything but Windows default that is probably your culprit, unless the windows support link above fixes the problem for you.

Good Luck

lgebhart

A+, Network+, IC3
MAI for MS Office 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back