Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer is haunted

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettamer

MIS
Mar 17, 2002
US
I think my computer is haunted by ghosts. The mouse pointer occasionally moves around on the screen by itself. I really don't care if it is haunted, what I worry about is spywares or trojan horses in the computer. Can anyone enlighten me as to the causes of the moving pointer? Thanks.

Is it possible that someone installed some VNC distribution that allows you to hide this from your system tray? I know that Tight VNC will allow a registry line that hides it.

If you're not familiar with VNC it is Virtual Network Control that can be installed as a service so you can remote control your PC. I have supplied the URL of one of the distributions of VNC if you want a furthur look.

If you have an optical mouse it may be getting confused.
Happens to me all the time

Thanks for the inputs. I have a standard mouse and not an optical mouse. I have reformat the drive once before and still the problem exists. I did not see the moving mouse problem until a recent month.

I am using NAT with private IP addresses for internal computers, can someone still break through and spy on my Win2000 Pro computer with no direct link to the external?

I have a Win2000 Web server on the same internal network but I cannot be sure that it had not been breached, even though I use NAT, IP firewall, and had installed the latest service pack.

Or could it be something as simple as may be because of me using Win2000 Pro Service Pack 3, which must be scanning my computer for updates? I am just a little perplexed. Thanks again for any help.

try a different mouse. its probably a hardware problem
I really doubt its a software problem unless its the drivers but that doesn't seem likely. When does it move by itself?
when you aren't using the mouse at all or moves where you don't want it to while using the mouse. Does it move in big sudden jumps or creep?

It is most likely a bizarre hardware problem. I have a machine here that does the same thing occasionlly (pointer jerkily moves left and right across the screen at random), but only with a certain Intellimouse connected, never with any other mouse, and no other machines do the same with that Intellimouse...
The machine itself is regularly wiped and re-installed, as we use it for a clean machine to test installations, and it is never on any network - so chances of viral contamnation are practically nil...

I've put it down to another MS-WIerDOWS undoccumented feature.

<< JOC >>

I have had this problem; turned out to be what's called an &quot;Annoyance&quot;, which is a Trojan, on the system. Try using Pest Patrol (PestPatrol.com)and keep your antivirus current. Yes, they CAN get in through your NAT on the router. Do you have a firewall? If not, it would be good to get one and configure it religiously. Block all ports and services except the few you need to use.
whythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagain

There was a virus a few years back that did that. Also there is alot of freeware joke programs that let you mess with users. I would look at email you may have opened before this started and do you leave your self logged in when you are away from your computer? It leaves you open to all kinds of problems.

Thanks guys. Yes, I often leave the system on, but it's on NAT and no direct link to the outside, so I thought it would not be a problem.

Also, I thought if you don't open any executables or attachments, you should not have a mail virus problem!
At least the trojans one don't get through.

Can antivirus detect trojans? I am not as much up to speed on security. I do have IP filtering but it may be not enough.

Thanks for all the help.

Try Panda antivirus. Mine has caught about 80 on the server in the last three months, and they came in through the router and the firewall (which is configured to close off all unecissary ports. Try Pest Patrol, too, but I think Panda is better. I believe they have a free utility online.
Good luck
whythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagain

Just a note. Even with NAT, IP firewall, latest service packs, I've been breached. So, protect yourself with additional firewall softwares.

Somehow they are running probes against my 2000 Pro computer even with a private IP address and no direct link. Anyone has any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back