Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer infected / hijacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecado

Technical User
May 1, 2009
Hi,
My computer started having slower keystrokes, then tons of advertisements popping up then on Wed it started redirecting everythingin google searches to other sites (lists of sites) like it would it a domain name had expired.

I use AVG 8.5 as my virus protection. I think I probably have spyware/adware problems and it also found two viruses worm/autorun and win32/heur. I have tried downloading programs off the web to remove them but it never lets me fully install them always saying 'server name or address could not be resolved". I also can no longer do updates on my anti-virus program - it says it can't connect - but my internet is working fine. It won't open the links to let me download any anti spyware programs directly but if someone sends it to me in an email then I can run it - but as I said - can't install.

Also I think it might be in my USB key as well...how do I get it out of there?

Any help would be great, thanks.

1. Download MBAM ( or and use the SAFE AS option, to rename the file to TEST.EXE and safe it to the DESKTOP...

2. Boot into SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, and run TEST.EXE to install MBAM, update it, run a QUICK SCAN first then a THOROUGH SCAN, remove anything it finds...

3. if that does not work, then DL either or both of the following CD's, to a clean PC and burn them to CD...

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Dr.WEB LiveCD

Boot your PC with either CD, and let'er rip... note: Dr.WEB will take quite a time to scan and it may seem like the PC is hanging, just give it time to SCAN...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back