Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer has started freezing and rebooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctau

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2000
US
My computer has recently started frequently rebooting and freezing. It seems to happen at least once an hour if not more. I am on the internet when it happens, but I am not using the computer for much of anything else. I have changed ISPs due to the problem but I am still experiencing it with my new ISP. I have also try upgrading to ME from 98. And I have ran several of the Norton System Works programs on it to check for hardware and other problems but nothing shows up. I built the computer and it consist of
Abit BX motherboard
600 Pentium III
321 mb ram
IBM Deskstar Harddrive
GeForce 2 3d Prophet
Internal Creative 56K Modem Blaster

The computer has worked fine for over a year and the configuration has not changed for some time. Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Ctau

I have had this problem before and the cooling fan over the processor chip had quit working causing the chip to heat up too much.
David Paulson

Mostly likely the above...OR the fan on your main power supply.

Your PC is probably overheating.

Your modem is a PCI (possibly ISA) winmodem. A winmodem will slowly chew up resources, the longer you're on the 'net, the more it uses. A newer driver may help (even an older driver can sometimes help) with the processor use/resource issue.
Check your total amount of Free Physical RAM, using Windows System monitor. Do it as soon as you fire up your computer, then keep it running, and check it every so often as you surf. If it get's to 0% (or close) and the only things running are your browser, then it's a modem issue. If you've got 8 or 10 things running in the taskbar, then it could be any one of them as well. Shut them each off, one at a time, and see if the same problem exists.
Anti-virus scanners also have a tendency to consume resources, especially if you have them set to scan all downloads. You should turn it off, do the downloading, THEN scan them before running/installing them. You do not need an AV scanner scanning all the web pages you visit. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I had that exact prob with a few systems in a run of bad clones. The power supply was bad in each one of them.

Good luck

I also had the same problem.i kept a eye on heat and found out my pentium 600 was running hot.i added a extra fan and that help a little but was still having same problem.i then removed the power supply and open it up to clean.i keep my system very clean,but with all the air passing through the power supply it was a dust bin.most of the air holes were plugged up.i cleaned it all up and reinstalled it.that also help but i then notice my power supply is running a little hot so i think i will be replacing it soon.my cpu temp went from 50c down to 38c just by cleaning out all the dust.i would at least open up your case and clean it all out and check to see if your power supply is dirty or running hot.i hope this helps. good luck.

When was the last time you reformatted your hard drive and did a fresh install of software? I have found that you need to that about once a year.

Something to think about.

Mary :)

sounds to me like it may be heat as well... if it IS a winmodem, when you are online, the modem uses your system resources (i.e. processor) to perform its funtion...

check ALL fans... if it is in a cabinet, make sure there is plenty of ventilation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back