Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer hangs when using System Erase utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberbug1312

Technical User
Aug 30, 2001
CA
I need assistance, we have a compaq proliant 2000 series. When I run the System Erase Utility it seems to be hanging the server. It has been 5 hours already. 5 2.0GB harddrives. All the HD lights are on and active...Wondering if any of you ever encountered this problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Cyberbug1312

Hi Cyberbug1312,

How you run this utility? From the SmartStart CD or a diskette?

The Compaq answer is this: To work around the problem, create a System Erase Diskette from the SmartStart for Servers CD, and run the System Erase Utility from the diskette. The Erase Utility will run to completion without any problems.

If it wont work, use the erase utility 1.63a from the SmartStart 4.90 CD.
Or start de system erase with no harddisks in the server. Harry Oldenkamp

thansk harryo,

I started it from smartstart. I still have NT4.0 installed on the harddrive. It boots into nt4.0 fine...but it just won't erase with the smartstart cd when i boot from it...is this happening because I still have active ntfs partitions on it? I will give the diskette a try. (I read about the diskette solution on the compaq website but i didn't think it applied to my server.)

thanks again,
Cyber-

I am having the same problem. I eventually roobooted the machine and now it has "erase utility did not finish press any key to continue". If you hit any key it just reboots to the same message.

Were you able to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Raza

Download the latest Erase which is now 1.66A I believe. There are known problems with the older Erase and the newer one should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back