Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer hangs on network traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimpy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2003
NL
My computer hangs when there is too much network traffic. The computer hangs for about 2 seconds, and then it works normally again. I have tried evry OS i could find, but it happens to all of them. Is there anyone who can help me with this, or has the same problem? I have 2 NIC's but it happens alsow when one of them is disabled.

Swimpy ;)

Alot of the time 2 NICS will cause that because you can't properly load balance them. Is it the OS that acts slow or the data transfer? What is your network layout and hardware? ie (hub, switch,server, additional OS's, network speeds)

It could be a NIC issue, or you are swamping your router. Most SOHO class router use store-and-forward schemes, and certain applications, notably peer-2-peer, can easily exhaust a low-end router version's available RAM for forwarding and routing entries. The Linksys Wxxxx11 series comes immediately to mind.

But it just might be your NIC adapter drivers. Please see these two links. Although the first discusses WinMX and the second Bit Torrant, the problem is a universal one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back