Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer gets noisier as it runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
I have a 600 MHZ AMD Athlon processor in my PC. It works great except for this: it squeals. Kind of a high pitched whistle.

The sound is not loud, but when the modem dials up I can hear the sound amplified through the modem speaker and it hurts my ears. It doesn't seem to affect the connection speed too much though.

Sometimes the sound fluctuates in sync with the actions on the screen--such as scrolling or cursor blinking.

My guess is that it is directly related to the CPU's temperature. Here is why I think that:

[ul]
[li]The longer it runs, the louder it gets.[/li]
[li]The computer is in a cabinet. If I shut the door, the sound gets louder and the system crashes, presumably due to decreased ventilation.[/li]
[li]When I do graphics or run processor-intensive programs like Word, it gets louder.[/li]
[li]I cut the back out of the cabinet and the sound is now less pronounced--presumably due to increased ventilation.[/li]
[/ul]

At this point, I am planning to have a better CPU fan installed. Does anybody know of any other possible solutions or causes to this problem?

Thanks!

have a look at your motherboard does it have an IC sound chip( onboard sound ) or , onboard graphics, this could be the problem...
IC sound or graphics picks up signals from the motherboard and you will have strange noises through the speakers.
This could be one reason.

Some cases have 2 fans. CPU fans are replaceable as well as CPU fans. Look up your manufacturer to get the model numbers.

Also, check to see if you have proper grounding at your outlet. Improper grounding in any circuit is know to cause the type of noises you are describing.

Alex

Thanks everybody!

I'll look into these things.

-Petey

if your motherboard monitors the cpu it will speed up the cpu fan as it get hotter.check inside your case for other fans.case fans can be disconnect for a short time to see if it is one of them.if the video card has a fan you can pull the card out then start system up to see if it is that.i wouldn't hurt to get a better cpu heatsink and fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back