Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer freezing- usually with IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybee

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
Hello. Lately I've had an intermittent problem with my PC freezing- locking up. Usually it happens when I'm browsing with IE (v6.0)- it seems usually right after clicking a link or otherwise loading a page. It did happen once when syncing some offline files. When it happens there's nothing to do but reboot. Ctrl/Alt/Del won't bring up Task Mgr- nothing but a reset will free it. I'm using W2K Pro- one program shouldn't cause the whole system to crash. I suspect a hardware problem? The drive is a Maxtor set up on the Promise ATA 100 controller which the system calls a SCSI device. There is another Maxtor on the primary IDE controller but W2k is on a partition on the other drive.
I have 512 MB SDram, AMD T-Bird 1 Ghz proc, ASUS A7-V mobo.
After this happens in Event Viewer I always get an error message saying "configuring page file for crash dump failed- make sure the pagefile is on the boot partition and is large enough for all memory- the page file is 1152MB and is on the boot part.
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks. Bill B
A+, Network+, MCP

Do you use IBM personal Communications (Mainframe emulator) ? at work?

Good question...try swapping out the RAM and/or check out your virtual memory settings. I have seen blue screens and freezing in win2k with bad ram.

Thanks for your reply.
As I mentioned, the virtual memory (pagefile) is set at 1152 MB (2 X 512 + 128). The RAM passes the memory test OK- I don't have an extra 512 MB laying around to swap it out with so I guess it will have to become more of a problem before I go buy some more and go that route. I'm not getting a blue screen- it just freezes.

I don't use IBM personal Communications (mainframe emulator) at work.

Bill B
A+, Network+, MCP

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest version of IE6.0? Microsoft has been finding a lot of problems with it lately that they've been patching.

Also, do a virus scan. Make sure you haven't accidently downloaded something nasty.

Finally, check your protocols. They may be interfering with TCP/IP if you have too many of them.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Hello. I believe the problem turned out to be an overheating processor. I had it happen with the screensaver on after I posted the original post so I ruled out IE. I checked the proc temp (Athlon T-Bird 1GHZ) with the mobo diag program and it was 147-149 degrees F. Uh oh! Ran down to the comp store and got a new fan/heatsink and exhaust fan for the case.. When I took the old heatsink/fan off and put on the new one- it wouldn't boot at all. Went and bought a new proc- and so far no problems.
Thanks for all the replies.
Bill B Bill B
A+, Network+, MCP

could be a memory leak. This often is the cause of a program crashing for no apparent reason.

This can be hard to diagnose. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back