Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMPUTER FREEZES or wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCOELHO

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
I have no idea what is happening to my pc. Sometimes it will boot up but freezes on the desktop. I usually reboot and sometimes it begins to work correctly. But sometimes the coputer wont boot at all. I mean i hear the pc start up but nothing comes up on the screen. One time the screen was green and blank.
Could this be a bad video card? I have changed the power supply. I am not sure what else to check. Please help.
Thank you

just some info.
Ok i came home last night to find that my pc monitor would not come up. The light would remain yellow. I would turn the monitor off and on and nothing. The pc was running as normal i opened the case and all the fans where running.
So i rebooted the pc. Found that the pc would not boot. I would hear all the fans start (not the one on the cpu) but no error beeps or anything else.
I decided to take all the components out and check every piece and also clean the inside of the pc with he air spray. I looked at all the capacitors and all looked fine. I have seen other pcs with bad capacitors so i have an idea what they look like. This doesnt seem to be the issue.
I put all the pieces back into the pc. Same issue. I will turn on the pc and all the fans will start but no th cpu fan. I will turn it off and it will start again.
Thank you for all your help.

ok i bought a 400 watt power supply. So far so good. Wish me luck
=)

I am having the same problem. 6 weeks ago, my computer started to freeze up for no reason (I leave on my computer 24-7 ever since 2002). So at first I suspected that it could be a bad hard drive. So I reinstalled Windows XP on another hd and still the same problem. Installed XP on another hd...also the same problem. I tested out the RAM and all seems fine.

The thing that baffles me is that when I run a Linux LIVE OS from a CD, it does not freeze at all. I left it on for 1 week and it did not freeze/crash. Also, when the XP is under SAFE MODE, no problems!

So I suspected that it could be the graphics card, so I replaced that (PCI NVIDIA 5200 using DVI output to a 27 inch LCD) for an ATI Mobility card, AGP with VGA output. It still freezes!

Now I suspect that I could be a faulty power supply!

@ LS1383:

You said that when you run linux LIVE or boot in safe mode no issues, which leads me to believe that its not the power supply (otherwise it would happen no matter what you booted up) but some other configuration in your normal boot up mode that causes the crash/lockup. I would also (if you have not) update all drivers for your graphics card just in case. Just thought I'd add my 2cents worth.

Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork.
-Sam Ewing-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back