Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMPUTER FREEZES or wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCOELHO

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
I have no idea what is happening to my pc. Sometimes it will boot up but freezes on the desktop. I usually reboot and sometimes it begins to work correctly. But sometimes the coputer wont boot at all. I mean i hear the pc start up but nothing comes up on the screen. One time the screen was green and blank.
Could this be a bad video card? I have changed the power supply. I am not sure what else to check. Please help.
Thank you

One more thing . I have all the latest drivers and firmware.
My specs are:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~
2083 Mhz
BIOS Version: ASUS - 42302e31
Total Physical Memory: 1,024 MB
Hotfix(s): 127 Hotfix(s) Installed.

Video card NVIDIA GEFORCE3 TI 500

Is there any history? Eg, did it use to work ok, then started being troublesome? Did you add/remove any hardware software?
Did it start with occasional 'blips' and is getting worse?

From your description it could be hardware issue, bad driver issue, virus/spyware - or all of these!

Are there any clues in event log (run eventvwr.msc)?

Have you run chkdsk?

Have you up to date realtime anti-virus and anti-spyware protection?

It happens and then goes away. I am not sure what could be happening. I do have avg virus pertection and it comes out negative when scanning and i also have anti spyware running. I havent made any software nor hardware changes when this started to happen i wish i did.
My biggest issue is that it is speratic. It will boot into the windows desktop and freeze. I reboot and i will be fine. Later i will start the pc and the screen is green. Nothing else just green. Or the pc will start but my monotor does not get out of standby.
It seems to be a hardware issue. Maybe the video card failing but i have no idea how i can diagnose it. There arent any errors on the error report.
Thanks for the help.

This also seems to only happen when booting up. When i am using the pc it seems to be fine

How long has this problem been around? Did it work ok once upon a time?

You've changed the power supply. Have you another graphics card to try? How many sticks of RAM (if > 1, try running on one stick - try each on its own).

Is the cpu running at reasonable temperature? (usually available in bios or via software in windows). Is the AMD cpu running at correct speed?

Could also try 'last known good configuration' option from safe mode menu (press F8 when XP starts).

Run msconfig and disable all the startup apps (apart from anti-virus & anti-spyware).

Basically a process of elimination (for the hardware, either disconnect or replace withj known good).

You could try a repair reinstall:-

but if its a hardware issue, that won't help.

(have you run chkdsk c: /f - it will ask to run on next boot?)

These are great options but my biggest issue is that it is very random. It will work fine for a month then one day i will have issues. Then it will be fine again. If it was constant it would be easier to figure out.
I really dont think the issue is with windows or the hard drive. Because i sometimes have issue in which i wont even have a boot screen and the monitor wont leave standby. I asume this means that the monitor does not detect a signal from the video card telling it to wake up.
I might have to buy a new video card. It does suck though if its not the actual cause of the issue.
Thank you all for the help. I did notice something in the event log that i didnt notice before.
I cant find an answer though it states:
The EIO service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I do get this error but mind you that the error displays even if the pc is running fine.
Thanks for the help.

Common causes:

1.) Bad Powersupply or failing...

2.) underpowered Powersupply...

3.) Buldging or leaking Capacitors...
4.) corrosion, ie. the contacts of the RAM or GFX Card... Reseat RAM and GFX Card after cleaning the contact points with a Nr.02 pencil erasor...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

My psychic friends tell me that #3 on BadBigBen's post is the correct option!

I am having the identical problem. I've done a chkdsk on my hard drive which shows that it is without errors. I've completely unplugged my dvd writer, my cd rom drive and my second hard drive, cleaned the contacts on my RAM and reseated it, reseated the IDE cable on the remaining hard drive, visually inspected the capacitors to find them perfectly flat and definitely not leaking or oozing. My power supply is 500 watts, but I have no idea if it might be failing or not. Still this keeps happening, today with more frequency than yesterday.

This started a couple of days ago for me, and there is no warning before it crashes or restarts itself, and nothing in the event log to indicate that anything has occurred other than the computer starting up. Is there a utility which will monitor and show me the power coming into the system from the power supply?

This is incredibly frustrating.

T

I have seen this before and repaired both times I have seen this
the first time I saw this... it was both a bad video card and a bad monitor that shorted the card.....

though..... I don't think this is either NCOELHO or DragonSong's problem

NCOELHO you said "Sometimes it will boot up but freezes on the desktop"

that is an indicator....on boot up it takes an incredible amount of CPU processing to load windows...This creates heat on all the parts extremely fast.

not knowing the motherboard...you need to reboot after the first boot and go into the BIOS then check the CPU temp and fan speed in the hardware monitor section of the BIOS.

also if your harddrive is hot this will cause similar issues.

I am betting that the CPU is getting too hot and creating issues on the boot.

The only thing I had not checked was the power supply - and I was somewhat hesitant to change out the 550W with the only other one I had, a 350W. However, I did try it, hooking up only the bare necessities, and the freezing and rebooting completely stopped - I played an online game which is video and audio intensive for several hours without issues (previously I was lucky if I got 10 minutes of operation without a freeze/and reboot. Today I went and purchased a 600W power supply and hooked it up, and, voila! everything is working FINE.

I appreciate the input on this issue from those who participated, as I got good direction and good advice. MY problem is solved!

If your motherboard filter capacitors are buldging. Replace your power supply because it dc output have overvoltage that damage the capacitor and also overheating your processor.

It has returned. Ever since my last post i have had no issues and now it has returned. =(
The strangest thing is that i will have 3 months of no issues at all and then it starts up again.
One thing i have noticed is that if im in Windows and the pc freezes i will reboot and the monitor will switch from amber to green but the pc will not make any hard drive noise.(Starting up noise) I will reboot again and all is fine. I have checked all the Capacitors and there was nothing there. Its very weird. Thanks for all the help

Also i have only done trouble shooting steps no hardware or software changes to my box to fix the old issue

If your capacitors are failing, or you have some other hardware problem, then a bigger power supply can temporarily mask the problem. In the long run it will continue to get worse. Something else that can temporarily help is to downclock the components. If you reduce your frontside bus speed to 100MHz (instead of 133) it'll probably run better for a while.

Unfortunately, bad capacitors aren't always visually obvious. That was a chronic problem on many boards - what kind of motherboard is it? From your first post, I see it's an Asus, but what model?

Thanks guys i will find the model number. But it is working fine right now.

Is there anything i should look for on the capacitors? I mean everything looks normal. I dont see any distortions on any of them.

Hey guys its back. Ha Im starting to think its the power supply. I have tryed a new power supply and it was working fine but its starting up again. Well my computer is quite old and i was using a 300 watt power supply and switched to a newer one and it was working fine for awhile. I am thinking that i might need a larger power supply.
What i have noticed is that if the pc boots all is fine. But if i shut down all the fans will start except the fan on the cpu. Does this sound like a power supply issue?
It wont boot. I will turn off the pc and back on and it will finally boot.
When it doesnt boot all the fans run except the cpu fan.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back