Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMPUTER FREEZES AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF INACTIVITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
THIS IS REALLY WEIRD.....AND I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS, THOUGHT IT WAS A SCREEN SAVER, BUT NOW I DON'T KNOW....

IT ONLY FREEZES WHEN IT ISN'T BEING USED....
LIKE IF I AM WORKING ON SOMETHING FOR A HOUR OR SO, IT WILL BE FINE, BUT IF I GET UP TO DO SOMETHING FOR A FEW MINUTES, USUALLY FIVE OR TEN MINTUES, AND COME BACK IT IS TOTALLY FROZEN (WELL THE MOUSE CURSOR MOVES) BUT I CAN'T SHUTDOWN, CLOSE ANY APPS, OR EVEN USE CTRL+ALT+DLT. THIS IS REALLY WEIRD.......ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE???

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

ryan

Certainly sounds like a screensaver problem, I assume you have disabled them. If not right click on the desktop (any unoccupied spot), select properties and under the Screensaver tab ensure "None" is selected.

It could be a conflict between the power saving functions in Windows and those set in your bios.

Geraldine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back