Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer freeze after I tried to upgrade memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc11

Programmer
Feb 9, 2002
US
I have 384 MB RAM(256+128) on my XP computer with Athlon MOBO and 800 MHz AMD Processor. I tried to replace 128MB with 256MB pin, totalling 512MB. My computer froze just about the time when the desktop will be seen. I realized that I crossed my limitation, so i tried to switch back to the old set up. The problem still presists even with 128MB RAM only.

IN between I went to bios set up screen and selected YES for best optimization. I am not sure if it has to do anything.

My concern is even when I switched back to my old memory, my computer still freezes.

Both the old and the new RAMs are labeled PC133.

Any help please.

Some more info about my PC...
I have dual boot running on this computer. I have Linux running on a separate Disk. I don't have the above mentioned problem to boot into Linux from the Lilo menu select. The freeze problem comes if I select XP, and it freezes just after few secs. Before I tried to play with RAM, everything was OK.

Hmm a few things to ask you before we continue.. What brand of RAM did you buy?

And how old is the Mainboard?

What CL rating does the memory have?

Sometimes when you select optimal speed in older system BIOS', it tries to force the memory to run faster than the RAM can handle, thus the freezing up. Reset the BIOS back to stock settings and try with the old memory in it, if that works, shut it down and put the new RAM in. BUT! leave the BIOS settings alone and boot.. IF it tries to lock on boot with the new RAM, then its got a bad chip and needs to be replaced.
Some brands of boards (Asus, Soyo, et al) do NOT like mixing brands of memory (Crucial, Kingston, best buy..), and simply choke up when they fill the first stick and hit the second one.

Best rule is that if you know the brand of RAM you have in your system, try to get the same brand and specs. If you cannot, try to stay as close to the specification as possible.. Yop can get bigger memory, just stick with the clock and timing spec (pc133, DDR200, DDR400, CL2, CL3) and you'll do fine.

I have made some improvement in identifying the problem.

I am able to over come the freeze problem by just removing the network card. I then went on ugrading the memory to 512MB. No problem. My computer is able to recognize the upgraded memory.

Now by putting the card back, it freezes again. Looks like there is something I need to do before inserting the network card in the PCI slot.

Thanks.

what kind of nic is it and are you using the latest driver?

also check for IRQ conflicts, set the i/o range up a few to a no conflict range.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have to go out of town.
I was able to solve this problem. I found there was an unkown network driver (the icon you see when you go into the properties of the network places)with a cross mark on it. I choose disabled with the right-click of the mouse and removed it. From then i did not encounter any freeze problems.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back