Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer emulating an usb device for an other computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisUntot

Programmer
Jan 8, 2002
DE
hi!

i want to connect 2 computers via usb and the first computer should behave like an keyboard, memorystick, <insert various other things> for the second computer.

has anybody an idea how to do that?

try the windows xp pro forum.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

If you want to get an answer read this FAQ faq796-2540
There's no such thing as a winnable war - Sting

why should i go to the win xp forum?

(i want to implement it with vb.net and i do not think such a thing can be done with normal win-xp tools and without programming)

What's wrong with remote desktop.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

why remote desktop?

i do want to emulate a usb device with one of my computers.

i do not want to use a remote desktoptool.

USB <- that is what matters, i want to know how to use it

you mean you want to share the usb ports on one computer so that any other computer can use them?

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

@chrissie1
i am not sure, if the word "sharing" is what i mean (sorry, my first language is not englisch)

you do know external-usb-harddrives, right?
now i want to throw that one away and use an other computer as an external drive.

or i have a usb-keyboard and i want to throw that away too and use an other computer as a keyboard.

@ThatRickGuy
i do not want to use a network (you are talking tcp/ip and so on i presume?)
and i do not know much about firewire, can it do al the things usb can? (i only saw it for external drives until now)

FireWire is/was like the Beta Max. It was significantly better then it's competition, but poor marketing and higher costs made it the lessor used product. Fire Wire can directly connect 2 intellegent devices. Like you can plug a fire wire cam corder directly into a dvd-burner, or a printer, and the hardware will handshake and communicate. If the software is designed for it, you could rip a movie from the cam corder straight to the burner with out having to use a PC.

But for USB, What it sounds like what you are trying is to plug one end of the cable into a computer/laptop and plug the other into another computer that has a harddrive with your data on it.

No can do. USB can not be used directly to connect one computer to another. With 2 USB ethernet dongles you can get close, but will still have to have the network setup.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

>No can do. USB can not be used directly to connect one computer to another.

ah. thank you. that was what i needet to know. (but not what i wanted to hear ;)

do you know any place where i can lookup how to communicate with firewire through vb(.net)?

I'm not sure. Firewire was mostly pushed by Apple, I know there are 3rd party FireWire expansion cards, and many WinTell motherboard manufacturers include FireWire ports. But I can't say forsure that I know of any examples. Hit up google for FireWire "VB.Net"

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

oh allmighty google, please tell me ....

;)

(i just hoped you would know something)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back