Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer doesn't go past Windows screen, some hardware problem... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm43

Programmer
Dec 1, 2002
US
My computer restarts at the Windows Start up screen. Every time it reaches the Windows (2000 Professional) Start up screen, it reboots. This always happens, hence I can never fully boot into Windows. I consulted a work associate who is in tech support and also a system admin, he said that it could be the power supply, together he and I changed the power supply. The problem didn't go away. My colleague has talked to people and has learnt that the problem might be the CMOS battery, that we might have to change the CMOS battery. We're going to change the CMOS battery later today. Frankly, I'm not too sure about this idea, and besides, I'm getting really tired of this computer not being able to stand up and run.

Does anyone have any ideas/has ever seen this situation before and might be able to tell us what might be wrong..

Thanks-in-advance..

Saad

Hi,
firewolfrs.. (sorry I am referring to your post after a decade, but..i wanna try and check off all the techniques that have come back from this excellent community of techs).. I'm not getting far enough in the load process to try what you suggested..it reboots (by-itself) before the logon process has started. for experiment's sake, i held down the 'shift' key all thru the boot process, but nothing happened...it still reboots (the reboot happens roughly 'round 'bout the same point everytime)..if it would go past this point, then the logon screen would be shown-windows is not configured to log-on automatically with the Administrator account-or any other account.
repeated this a couple of times.

Safe-Mode - Last Known Good Configuration

Tried booting with Safe Mode 5 times..with Last Known Good Configuration option ..4-5 times.. this made no difference..

256 Mb mem sticks..removed.. all we have in there is a 64mb & a 128 mb stick, both same speed..133 Mhz..& we've also tested with the 128 mb taken out..

tabby's microsoft support link - couldn't try it b/c can't load into windows, so cannot edit registry. also, don't get the blue screen that often..It gave me some good ideas to try on my brother's computer though..his laptop's been getting STOP errors quite a few times.. thanks..

I realized that I when I tried the Windows 2k re-install, I may not have done it with all the expansion cards taken out.. I'm going to try that with no device except the video...(and ofcourse the CD-ROM & the HD)..if this doesn't work..i'm going to try the re-install w/ a different video card in-place (if I can find one..i don't have an extra one handy).. if that doesn't work either, i still have to try the Win 98 re-install..

let's c what happens.. will keep this thread up-to-date..

thanks.

Saad

I just kinda felt that my Win 2k Prof. re-install ended kinda quickly.. the format took the normal amount of time..but the O/S install just seemed to take like 7-8 mins. The progress bar did the whole 100%.. Not sure. how long does a Win 2k install normally take, (excluding the time to format) .. i have 128 mb ram .. also, the install took up 344 Mb..does that sound right? i'm trying it again (w/ the same cd this time) but i'm thinking if it's not the cd..

Saad

The Win 2k re-install thing didn't work, with either card, and different cd's, so i installed Win 98. The install finished, & Win 98 loads up first-time..it asks for a user-account..then starts looking for devices to install drivers for. I only have the CD-ROM & the Video card.. it always detects the video card first, then as soon as the screen 'Windows has detected a new Hardware Device....' appears.. the computer reboots..and then the reboot-looping happens.. I tried it with another monitor.. same thing.. i've then tried it with another video card & it does the same thing on both of them.. either it coincidentally doesn't like either card, or there's something wrong w/ the computer's video bus or something maybe.. one of the video cards is the same that the computer used to run w/ before for several years..

Saad

If the rebooting happens after you install the driver, then the driver must be corrupt or not good.
But if you don't even reach the stage of driver installation, it sounds as if it's your video bus. I assume you've got an AGP card, so why don't you try a PCI video card (if you can get one)? Last resource is of course changing your motherboard.

Longshot - but when you changed the CMOS battery did you short the pins to reset the bios to default and then updae the Bios to reflect your configuration ?

Hi,
as i mentioned, i tried 2 video cards with my computer w/ Windows 98 installed. One of the cards is a PCI card..it didn't solve that problem..

I don't know a lot about CMOS batteries .. I wouldn't be able to answer your question.. I didn't change it. It was a tech who works with me. I would have to ask him when he gets here today..

Saad

i'll try another video card if i can get one. the computer reboots as soon as it gets to the new device screen, so no i haven't installed any drivers yet. i think it's the video communication in the chipset has gone bad.. what's a sure way of knowing it's the video bus? if it is the video bus, it can't be replaced without replacing the whole motherboard?

Snakeeyeskm, what would a CMOS battery not configured the way you've described due to your computer?? If the CMOS has a problem, would the computer get as far as booting to Windows?

Saad

correction Snakeeyeskm.. "what would a CMOS battery not configured the way you've described *do* to your computer?

No, it's not gateway. it's a whitebox custom-made computer..

Saad

Is the CPU Fan working?
Have you tried a basic DOS boot disk?

Yes, the fan is working.. the fan not working would be a physical problem that would manifest itself conspicuously .. here, there's a problem with communication between O/S and hardware - which in this case, i'm pretty sure is the video..

there is nothing wrong w/ the booting.. windows loads up everytime. The O/S tries to communicate w/ the video card so it can prepare to install drivers, and that's when it reboots..

Saad

Hi,

I know you have tried so many things, well here is my input.

1.) Check that there is no physical contact b/w the motherboard & the chasis (cabinet), insert some sort of insulator between the two.

2.) The reason maybe because of the overheating of the CPU.

Just saw ur post today, will update you with more troubleshooting steps.

Hard2crak

I've always been fond of basic diagnostic programs that don't rely on Windows or even on DOS in some instances. Given the amount of time you've spent, it might be cost effective to spend a few bucks at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back