Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer doesnt boot and no POST beep either

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlainAngel

Technical User
Dec 28, 2004
GB
I recently aquired a pc from a friend who no longer had a use for it.
After about 5 days of usual use it has collapsed and refuses to boot.
Upon pushing the power button there is NO POST beep but Fans do come on.. the HDD spins up and LED's come on.

I beleived at first might be dodgy expainsion card or usb support so took them ALL out.. to no avail...

Then wondering if the board had fried...i removed all the ram and turned it on to see if it would notice... it beeped the usual error code so i gather the board is ok?

So question is.. how do i revive this pc.. there is NO monitor output via AGP OR onboard

Thanks in advance for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~
~ You have nothing to fear but fear itself... n maybe the Microsoft

~ You have nothing to fear but fear itself... n maybe the Microsoft Corp ~

SlainAngel
Could be several things but by far the most common with these symptoms is a bad power supply (failure on one power rail)
You could initially try clearing the cmos (cmos clear jumper or remove the lithium battery for 10 minutes) and remove and reseat all connections especially main power to board and graphics card if it has a seperate one.
But most like PSU.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi paparazi thanks for your reply

I have already reset the cmos to no avail
i have ALSO replaced the PSU with a new one and all its done has made it quieter lol

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I guess the next step would be to take the system back to bare essential ie: motherboard, CPU/cooler, 1 stick of memory, PSU and graphics if not onboard.
Pull out all cards, IDE cables and front panel connectors, start system with a small flat blade screwdriver momentarily touched across the pwr header pins.
If you get a sucessful post then start adding things one at a time.
If not you have fewer components to diagnose and eliminate.

Please post back with full hardware specs and additional history of fault.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hardware BEFORE ripping out parts...

P4 1.6Ghz
40Gb HDD
512Mb Ram (2x256 ddr)
32mb Geforce 2 mx (agp)
1x CD RW drive

** Additional History **

I shut down my pc after i had uploaded my website to the new servers. I got up next morning to turn it on and it didnt work.. simple as that...

Paparazi... can you explain a little more about the screwdriver idea..ive heard about it but NEVER actualy tried it.

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hey Bcastner im now away from my pc as im working on someone else's pc. WHen i get back tonight i will take a look and see if the capacitors are the fault...

Ive checked the capacitors and they all seem fine!

I have once again replaced the power supply.. and ive also removed EVERYTHING but the essentials and there is STIL no screen or POST beep...

This is really starting to confuse me now

An eyeball is not sufficient for bad Caps.

The other possible: your CPU overheated and is literally toast.

Ill do a more detailed test via my electrician l8r... erm... i dont think the CPU overheated it has 2 fans cooling it

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I take it you have tried a different video card.. If the fans turn on and you can get a post beep out of it the PSU sounds good. Maybe try a cheap old pci video card?

sct77 (TechnicalUser) 31 May 05 15:30
I take it you have tried a different video card.. If the fans turn on and you can get a post beep out of it the PSU sounds good. Maybe try a cheap old pci video card? "

i CANT get a Post beep thats one of the problems sct77

For now there is nothing more i can do... ive given it to a friend who has more qualifications based around ICT then i care to count.. perhaps he can tinker and fix

Thanks for all your help

Too bad, sooner or later they would have helped you get to the source of the problem.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Don't worry, garebo - his friend will probably be posting!

micker, you are always one step ahead of me, lol!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back