Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Dies, yet appears half turned on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercJones

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2007
GB
Hi there.

Having big problems with a computer at the moment. Every now and again the pc decided to die, and just turn off, or so it appears.

None of the fans are running, and it is as if the PC is dead, yet a press of the power button does not turn this back on again as you would expect; you have to hold down the power button, and then it properly turns off, and then you can power it back on again.

When its died, the screen is black, no movement of anything, no fans running, yet one of the case fans is still glowing blue, the keyboard lights are on, as is the usb mouse(red glow)..

Had this problem a short while ago, replaced the motherboard and cpu and its doing exactly the same thing, so Im beginning to rule out those two things. Event viewer basically just says the pc restarted abnormally or whatever it states and thats it.

Any suggestions please?

hiya

yeah when i replaced the cpu I also changed the fan. unsure what temp its running at, but theres a fan in there(room fan) and an adequate air conditioning unit :S and how quick is faster than normal? surely not in a few days

A while back, we had problems with a few WS that we had assembled and delivered to a company...

what was happening was that after a while, the WS would just quit and die, same symptoms as described... we could not make heads or tales about it, until I forgot to connect the ethernet cable one day, and the WS ran 24hrs without turning it on or off (or it cutting out)...

the network was way too restrictively setup (security positively to the max), as soon as an unknown MAC address showed up, the servers sent a kill signal to the NIC, which in turn turned off the machine...

so to cut it short: unplug the network cable and see if it changes anything...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Can you boot to safe-mode and not have the machine shutdown?
Have you tried plugging the machine into a different socket? Is your power strip failing? Is your area experiancing brown-outs?

Have you tried disabling the Boot LAN allow lan to put to sleep allow lan to wake, or allow NIC to wake/or put machine to sleep setting in the BIOS or while it boots before it shuts down??

Are you using a built-in NIC(new with new MB) or a PCI Lan card. used with other MB?

To be having the same issue with the main components changed out is whittling down the cause. You may have a bad memory chip that shutsdown when it gets written to.

Have you checked the auto shutdown on errors?

Good Luck

Tim

Sometimes it is a heat issue or the settings in the bios related to heat, i.e. what temp is too hot!, is causing the BIOS to go into a less active mode to protect the CPU and motherboard. There are also settings for green energy that cause the system to go to sleep mode or hybernation. Sometimes it is better to just shut these off.

I have also seen newer motherboards that have all kinds of problems with older Legacy (IDE/PATA) Hard Drives. SOME Newer motherboards prefer using absolutely no drives with IDE/PATA including the CD/DVD's.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back