Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer crashes(freezes// down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungbaga

MIS
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hello~
I have amd athlon 1700+, 512 ram, (windows 2000 pro)
sometimes my computer just stop working.
I cannot find what's causing the computer to crash.
Is it normal??
i don't think so..
it will be very nice if someone could tell me what to fix.

i have another computer P4 1.8ghz, 512ram. (windows 2000 pro)
that computer often reboots (restarts) by itself..
is that mean there is problem w/ my computer? or do i have to change somekind of setting?
ok.. thanx.. i'll talk to you later..
bye

Go into system properties by r-clicking on my computer and select properties. Select the advanced tab, then the start up and recovery button. Uncheck the option automatically reboot. The next time your system crashes, you will be presented w/ the all too familiar BSOD. Post back w/ what that says.

If you're running 2k and you have freezing/rebooting problems its nearly always hardware related (memory, cpu, powersupply, mobo favourites, but don't discount anything). The next most likely culprit is bad driver(s). M$ error messages are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot (even when you can find them in M$KB). If they're causing you real problems try the barebones approach (remove all 'unnecessary' hard ware - run for a bit see if trouble gors away - if it does add bits back one at at a time (if you can replace memory or just use one stick when you've 2 or more, so much the better).

Hi. I had a similar "freeze" problem for a while. Running Windows 2k on an Athlon (1GHz) system would lock completely once or twice per day, sometimes it would lock after an hour or twon, other times it would go OK for a day or two! At first, I thought it might be h/ware related, so swapped processor, memory, etc and tried fail-safe settings in the BIOS. All had little effect (they sometimes seemed to make it worse or slightly better, but nothing conclusive).

Now, I don't know if this next bit is YOUR solution, but if you are running any Norton programs, it might help.

After a lot of thought, I removed Norton Internet Security 2002. (I uninstalled NIS, Norton AV and Utilities from control panel, then downloaded and ran some Norton uninstall utilities - (1) Symcln.exe (2) RNIS.exe (3) RNAV.exe - in that order, rebooting after each one. Then I wiped the relevant folders in the "Program Files" area and rebooted yet again..

Then, I reloaded all the Norton programs. Success! It has been working for the past ten days with no problems at all.

Hope this is of use.

All of you guys thanks for the reply
i just got some question to terryISO.
I also run Noroton System Works.

so what you did was untall all the Norton program and reintall them?
do i have to get Symcln.exe, RNIS.exe, and RNAV.exe to uninstall? what do you mean by wiping the relevant folders? what would be the examples(of folder)?

thank you

Hi. Yes, that was all I did.

There are some "issues" when you uninstall Norton Antivirus, Internet Security and/or System Works, it seems. When you uninstall them from Control Panel, there are still some registry keys left behind and a few other odds & ends. You need to run the Symcln, Rnav & Rnis programs, they get rid of the Registry Keys.
However, if you look in your "Program Files" folder, you will see that there are still some folders left behind. You need to delete these. (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Norton Antivirus", etc).

Then you can do a virgin install, which seems to cure the problems. If you don't do this, the install may grind to a halt, or may not fix the problems

I think the problem may typically occur when a new version of the Norton programs is installed as an upgrade (e.g. upgrading from Norton 2001 to 2002, etc). It seems to cause a variety of problems. I have since uninstalled Norton on another PC and fixed an aggravating problem with IE6 not displaying .gif images. This is apparently another manisfectation of the problem.

You can get the symcln, rnis and rnav programs from the Norton site:
(Run them in this order:)

For System Works:
For Norton Antivirus:
For Norton Internet Security:

Good luck. Lots of rebooting involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back