Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer crashes during Windows consistency check....HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydanny

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
DK
Hi,

Maybe I should be asking this in the Windows 2000 forum, but one of my users can not boot up his computer. Even though he can shutdown the computer normally, on bootup Windows does a hard disk consistency check. About 5 seconds into the check, the screen goes black and the computer does not respond to any keyboard input, or can not be shutdown by holding down the power switch. We have to unplug the power cord to shut it down!

This phenomenon used to occur maybe once a week, but now its getting more frequent.

Could it be a failure of the hard disk thats causing the computer to crash? Motherboard perhaps?

If I cancel the check before it starts, Windows continues booting up with no problems and the user can use the computer through out the day with no problems at all.

Just for reference, we are using an IBM Netvista M41 (2001). The diagnotics program from IBM detected no errors...

Thanks for any info in advance.
Danny

Hello,

Have you looked at CPU temp in the Bios?
Many be something in Bios?
Also, have you run a hard drive checker program in Dos? The hard drive manufacture *Like Western Digtal website for the checker*.
Check the IDE cables to?
Unplug all devices and booooooup.
See if new memory will help.

Hope that this helps some.
JCS

Let me know the out come of this. I've found that it leads to a mb/cpu failure nearly everytime. Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I don`t think my BIOS has a temp reading, but I am starting the computer from a cold boot, literally. The computer never crashes/freezes, during normal Windows use, only during bootup. But nowadays, it can`t even get past the Windows disk check sequence.

I have run all kinds of disk check programs...no errors.
I have double checked all cables and HDD jumper settings, nothing unusual.

I connected the HDD to another computer as slave and I can access all data and partitions on the drive.
But if I set it as primary, it won`t boot after POST, so it suggests that the HDD is defective, just during boot time.
But, if I connect a known good HDD into the computer, it also won`t boot up after the first Windows splash screen, which suggests a faulty mb/cpu....

So both the mb/cpu and the HDD seem to be faulty.
Is it possible that a bad mb/cpu can damage the HDD?

Thanks for any info,
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back