Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer crash issues :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

elberal

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
GB
Hello people,

I seem to have a problem with most games that i try to play (i.e. X2, Call of Duty, SW:KoToR, BF1942) in which after a few minutes of booting the game up my computer hangs and half the time the screen goes blank, and quite often i hear a high piercing sound coming from my speakers.

My computer also hangs at random when I boot it up, and i notice a lot of blue screens of death occur whenever i click on a pop-up/another window/ file/ etc. Please help me, it is getting too irritating and is not good for my hard disk :( Latest drivers are installed for Audigy2, Catalyst version is the latest, mobo drivers are the latest as well. Thanks!

(what i think are relevant)Specs:
P4 2.53Ghz
Radeon 9800pro
Audigy2
1GB RAM
MSI 648 Max

slight correction there, i get a repetitive sound coming from the speakers (i.e. they replay the last second over and over again).

the most recent blue screen of death gave me this:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

any idea anyone? the problem is deeper than that i believe :(

Do you, by any chance, have your HDDs installed in SATA ? Or do you have RAID enabled ?

I have a problem with Norton Ghost where as soon as I call the interface to do something, I get a BSOD with the same error message.

If you look further down and find a line near the bottom mentioning an "SIxxxxxxx" device, then you have at least RAID enabled.

If that is the issue, then you should hunt for a BIOS update for your mainboard.

Pascal.

Check your memory modules!
If it's random then quite often it's caused by memory.

I sometimes get the "da-da-da" sound when working to fast. This is because my sound card is on the same interupt as the modem and hard drives. I'm used to it and it doesn't happen often enough to change. This gives you a starting point - check the interupts and change if you can.

Have you tried swapping the Audigy2 to a different PCI slot?

Andy.

my hdd is an 80GB ide. no sata/raid.

temporello: well it could be the memory. but the crashes within windows itself are not exactly random (as mentioned, it usually happens when i click the mouse) although there were a couple of times whereby the pc froze when my puter was loading the startup programs within windows :/

micker: well, but your pc didn't hang and give you the beautiful blue screen did it? i let my bios auto assign the IRQs (or whatever you call it, i'm not that much of tech user)

satrow: thanks for the suggestion, but it still didn't prevent my game of bf1942 from hanging my computer :( too early to tell about the 'clicking blue screens of death' though

No, I don't BSOD (WinXP), but I have to re-boot to stop the noise.

Elberal...

I am having the same problems.
I have changed PSU, checked temps, etc etc...

Have you got it fixed?

THANKS

Elberal, I have been having pretty much the same problem that you've been having. Unfortunately, I'm not a techy either and have been unsuccessful in diagnosing the problem. I have an NVidia GeForce Ti 4400 and I play a lot of BF1942. I had a guy put my comp together, don't keep in touch w/ him, and don't have the specs. So, I'm up a creek. I've gotten so frustrated that I was considering getting a video card like yours. But if you're having the same probs, I don't wanna spend the $$. What's the status on your problem?

get memtest ( ) and motherboard monitor5 ( ) to check temps.
what stop error is it like "Stop 0x0000000A...."?
check psu currents 5v/12v (30a/20a)!?
check event viewer for errors.
since when do you have the probs and what did you change when it started? you added new hardware(updated drivers.....?
microsoft
"This behavior can occur if there is incompatible hardware or an incompatible device driver on your computer", depending on the stop code it can also be memory/temps/psu.
what os are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back