Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer completes POST, then stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferrante

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
I’ve got a 2 year old computer with an MSI i865 motherboard, P4-3.0 processor, 1 gig of RAM (2-512’s) and GeForce 5200 video card.

The computer starts up, counts memory and states "dual-channel mode", auto finds the hard drive, CD-ROM, and DVD burner, then just stops. No error messages. I cannot access the BIOS by pressing DEL at boot up. The keyboard lights do not blink at boot time. This is a PS/2 keyboard.

I’ve tried replacing the keyboard with a USB model, but the same thing happens. Again, no error messages on the screen.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2p worth: Sounds like the keyboard contoller chip on the mobo's gone. Is it particularly dusty inside the case? If so give it a clean out as dust might be shorting something out. Can you test your keyboards on another machine?
ASG

Thanks for your suggestions

The keyboards do work on other computers and dust is not an issue in this case.

I'm in Western PA, this computer is my Daughter's in AZ. If I had it here, I could troubleshoot and/or replace the motherboard or any other defective part.

I was hoping someone might have an idea that I haven't thought of.
Thanks again.

disconnect all power except to the motherboard and the processor power then reset the CMOS to see if yoyu get by the post and start looking for the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back