Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer cleanup after a fire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xemus

MIS
Jul 10, 2002
US
Hey all,
Got a computer that just went through a fire. The inside is covered in smoke residue. Supposedly, the firemen pulled it out first thing, so it may not be toast. I cleaned the harddrive and have restored it already (data is fine).
My question: What's the best thing to use to clean the other components (video card, motherboard, NIC, etc..) The case is smoked enough to not worry about, and the machine is a P3 anyway, so it was time for an upgrade, but I'd like to clean up what I can.

I have to agree with ImpetusEra about the brake cleaner. My husband used to provide PC phone support for a chain of brake and muffler shops. He had a guy dissolve his keyboard by trying to clean it with brake cleaner. This is not to say that it always dissolves all kinds of plastic, but it obviously does some of the time. Since there are less harsh alternatives specifically designed for electronic equipment, I would certainly exhaust those options before trying something that is known to disolve plastic.

I should've said that I don't agree with using WD-40 myself unless it's on a car, bike, etc This is because it leaves a residue behind (I think itended to seal the offending part once the water's been displaced). I know people who have used it to clean faders on audio mixing desks and found the error of their ways. I use a good plain alcohol (Vodka??) or switch cleaner and have never had problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back