Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer case part names

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammyo2k

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
GB
Hi, I have a somewhat silly question but somewhat vital for me. Does anyone know the name of the piece of metal on the back of a computer case into which the mouse, keyboard, USB etc. ports fit? Would anyone know the kind of places I could acquire one (I live in the UK)?

Thank you

Thanks. I've never heard that term before and I've been building PCs for nearly 3 years. Do they come bundled with mother boards or can they be bought seperately?

The case manufacturer's often, not always, include a selection of backplanes to match different motherboard types. Some include pre-scored panels so that you can break out the sections you need.

Find the case manufacturer's website, and/or its largest distributor and email them for a selection of backplanes to match your new motherboard. Be sure to specify as best you can the motherboard make and model and a specific description of the case it will be used in.

And some M/B manufacturers include them. Particularly if the M/B varies from standards.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks everyone, you've all been a lot of help.

Some people call them "backplates". I always thought a backplane was the circuit board that used to have wiring and printed paths.

Jim

Aye we call them backplates here too.

Still, what's in a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back