Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer can't see other's resources across network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBOB

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
US
I have a network with four computers on it. Two are wired into a WRT54G and the other two are are fed from a EZXS55W switch which is fed from the router. Three computers have WinXP Home and one has WinXP Pro. They are all DHCP and have the same IP range. The workgroup is the same for all computers. One of the XP Home computers has an intermittent problem of not being able to see the shared resources of the other computers. At the same time when I go to My Network Places and click on the workgroup I get the "Workgroup Not Accessible" error. I also get the "Workgroup Not Accessible" error on the XP Pro machine at the same time. The other two computers have no problems seeing anyone. The XP Pro machine is using simple file sharing. I can ping the router and all of the other computers successfully. I have turned off Windows Firewall and all other security on all other computers. The problem computer has Microsoft Terminal Services, Microsoft Windows Network, and Web Client Network running. The Computer Browser service is running. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. All of the other computers can see the problem computer's shared resources. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Does the same thing happen if you switch around the ports, i.e., pt the problem computer on the same network device as the XP Pro computer?
XP Home edition is not known for great networking qualities.

Pepperzgm at gmail dotte comm

Is the linksys suppling DHCP for the XP box? if so, make sure that the XP box is set to use Netbios first for name resolution. This is a check box that needs to be set on network properities.

With the Windows Explorer on the XP computer, right-click My Network Places, Properties, select TCP/IP associated with the network adapter, WINS tab, and select Enable NetBIOS over TCP. The default is:

Use NetBIOS from a DHCP server.

If static address is used or the DHCP does not have a NETBIOS setting, enable NetBIOS over TCP.

The problem is that XP defaults to trying to use DNS for any name resolution and if Windows hands out the DHCP address, allowances are made. But, if the Linksys hands out the IP address, it becomes a problem. WINS has to use NetBIOS and unless Windows is told to do this first, there will be problems. I just had to set this on a dozen Windows XP boxes, both home and Pro.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back