Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer can't join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru257

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hi... I have two windows nt 4 workstations at a remote site that will not join the windows 2000 domain. My windows 2000 workstations can join no problem. I have manually created the computer objects... but it always returns "no logon server available" or "unable to join domain" when I try to join the nt4 boxes. There is no domain controller on the remote network segment. Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction.. much thanks

Hmm, maybe I answered my own question. The NT workstations have manually assigned IP addresses. I did not create host entries into DNS. Is that the problem. Does a workstation need a host record before it can join a 2k domain?

In a w2k Active Directory Domain a machine must know where to get DNS and used DNS to find the Domain Controller to join the domain.DNS is the heart and soul of Active Directory. R. Henson CCNA,CCAI,MCP

run WINS on the Win2k server, and set the WINS IP address of the 2k server on the IP settings of the NT 4.0 workstation.REboot and try to join the domain. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Hello,
If the above suggestion doesn't work, you may want to install the AD client for NT4 workstation. You should be able to downloaded it from Microsoft.

WINS was not an option, and adding a Domain Controller entry to LMHOSTS did not work. I installed the Active Directory Client Extensions for Windows NT 4.0, and that did the trick... joined no problem. Thanks for the replies...

where can i find Active Directory extensions for WinNT4? ive got the same prob as ru57 please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back