Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer browser problems since upgrade to 2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentley45

MIS
Jul 15, 2004
US
We upgraded a Win2k domain to Win2k3 4 days ago. Most of the member servers are still Win2k or Win2k3, while all DC's are now Win2k3.
Ever since the upgrade, browsing has been erratic. Sometimes the entire list of servers on the network will appear and other times only a select group will. I have several subnets. When I query for the master browser, a different server appears as the master depending on the network I am attached to.
The upgrade went smoothly, so I am not sure what has messed the browsing up. I would not care, really, except that Backup Exec uses the browse list for its backup selection lists.
Thanks for any suggestions.

What was your solution to this posting? We upgraded about 3 weeks ago and are having same type of problems. All will run fine and then all of a sudden, at what seems random times, the member servers start throwing errors that the master browser cannot be found.

Sounds like a DNS issue. Where is your DNS server?

In our case it was a corrupt WINS database. We rebuilt the database using Q168712 and have had no problems since.

Thanks for the replys....This envolves 2 servers J2Server & J3Server. I just ran netdiag on both and here are the results in regards to DNS.. Can anyone point to where I need to make entries/corrections??

From J2Server
DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '192.168.1.203' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '192.168.1.202' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

From J3Server
DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the name
'j3server.dandecenter.com.'. [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name 'j3server.dandecenter.com.' may not be registered in DNS.
[WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the name
'j3server.dandecenter.com.'. [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name 'j3server.dandecenter.com.' may not be registered in DNS.
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be verified right now on DNS server 0.0.0.0, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
[FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Did the suggusted WINS rebuild and no help here. DNS all looks good. Any ideas where to go from here?? J2Server & J3Server are both DNS...

Thanks,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back