Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer boots in Safe Mofe only, if it starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2004
US
Have an older laptop with 98SE. Crashed a few days ago, and since either hangs during load or goes into safe mode (alternates between the two). Ran scandisk, ad-aware, spybot, RegClean, and virus program. All checks out OK. I have also cleaned out everything in my start-up using MSCONFIG, except systray. Booted up with bootlog and only obvious problems are all fonts with TTF extension failed with a failure code of 0016 (?), and the last five lines of the bootlog.txt are:

InitDone = Display Rsources
[000DC1CA] Starting Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000DC1CA] Started Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000DC1CD] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000DC1CE] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)

These last 4 lines appear one more time in the body of the BOOTLOG.TXT close to the beginning of the file. What appears to be an address on the left is not the same however.

This may be more detail than is required, but I need to get this old machine back to working. I don't recall why it crashed. As I recall it was some sort of adware or virus scan that had completed before the lock-up. Or something like that

Some direction as to where to look next will be helpful. I'm going to continue to work on it however.

Thanx in advance

I would check the hard drive for damage. Run the manufacturers tool to check if your hard drive is starting to fail. Laptop hard drive are very sensative and break easy especially the old ones.

Another check thats good to do is to check your ram memory.
download it and let it run through.

If everything checks out fine it might be that one of your more important windows file has been corrupted or removed. But it usually gives some indication to which file and since it works ok in safe mode. But an install ontop should take care of any missing files.

You also might try restoring a saved older registry.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm reloading Windows 98, but it's taking a very long time. Started last night (about 8 hours ago), and still has 404 minutes to go. Lots of stops because curtain files can't be found on the Win98SE CD (CABs and DLLs etc). Keep pressing OK and it seems to eventually find the missing file.

If Windows ever reloads, I'll do what you have suggested, but I think I may be fighting a losing battle.

Thanks again

Sounds to me like your source media is in need of a new copy.

If you can read the cd ok copy the cab files to your hard drive and install it from there. Usually a lot quicker and if you install something that need to read windows cabs its on your hard drive already.

I always do that to install windows 98. Saves a lot of time and trouble.

Thank you again. I'll try that, but it'll have to wait until the weekend. I need to get to work.

Thanx jump1ng. On reloading Win98SE, the source media was the problem. Burned fresh copy and reload went well.

Also reload fixed the safe mode problem.

Now I just need to figure out the brand of hard drive to check if I might be having problems there (your first suggestion and where all this started). Device Manager shows it to be GENERIC. I've got a Western Digital utility diskette someplace; I'll try that first.

Thanx again.

Great idea TekTippy4U

Ran it and Belarc calls the drive "Generic IDE Hard Drive".

Guess I'll look for a Generic Hard Drive diagnostic utility.

Thanx again. Double-s-mess out

ooops -- Haven't used it in a while (belarc) so forgot about the lack of details....
You should see it in the BIOS and upon Boot up on the screen. In BIOS go to IDE configuration and choose the Primary (if that's the drive's channel and pos. you're needing).
Disable Silent boot, Quick Boot , etc in BIOS for onscreen messages during Boot
or
Get Everest (was Aida32 - very detailed)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back