Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer booting failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulnaoar

Technical User
Jun 8, 2005
CA
Hi, I have IBM Nevtvista desk top, Inter(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 1.80GHZ, AT/AT Compatible, 128M RAM. Sometimes when I turn the computer on, the computer couldn't boot itself(before it starts up the Windows 2000). I have to press F1 go to the setup menu and just press "save and exit" without changeing any setup, then everything is fine. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with my computer, and what's the solution for this? Mang thanks!!

first thing to do is replace the CMOS battery. Just about all motherboards have the small, disc type CMOS battery you can unclip and replace with a new one. Take the old one to an electronics supply store or a computer supply store to make sure you get the correct replacement type of battery. Put the new one in, fire up the computer, go into the BIOS and set everything back up, and do a "save and exit" and hopefully that's all you needed. Always use care when working inside the computer case. Use a wrist ground strap if possible or make sure you are touching a part of the bare metal chassis when reaching in and touching anything. Don't stand on carpet when working on the computer, or put some newspaper under your feet if you have to.

Thank you for your help! I thought the recently computers can recharge the CMOS battery when it turned on. This booting failures do happen when the computer hasn't been used for a short period. Is this the reason? Thanks!

You're welcome. [smile]

Maybe some CMOS batteries can be recharged, but I don't know for sure. You should be able to leave the computer off for a very long time (for years possibly) and the CMOS should still be charged, they last up to 10 years.

Check your motherboard for bad capacitors. I hate to say it, but your vintage of NetVista is ripe for this problem. If you discover you have this problem, contact IBM service. They have been replacing boards for free, but that soon expires and has expired on certain models.

Some excellent pictures of bad motherboard capacitors can be seen at Be sure to view all three pages.

Thanks for all the advise. I am not a handy man, I will let technic guy check it. Thanks again for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back