Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer boot up all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny13oi

Technical User
Nov 21, 2004
US
hey guys .. i have this one computer that is very important to me .. and like .. when i boot it up .. it doesnt boot up all the way .. it'll go into the booting up screen with windows xp professional screen and the little bar at the bottom moves but then after like .. 10 seconds .. it just restarts .. and does it all over again .. when i chose safe mode .. it loads until its loading agp440.sys or something for like .. 4 seconds and then it just restarts .. can someone please help me

Sounds like your video card (or it's drivers) has a problem. Can you borrow another vid card and try booting? This should get you booted up with a screen asking for the software. Hit ignore, and continue with the "ugly" picture. Remove the drivers for the original card (look in Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs. Put the old card back in, and let XP recognize your card. You will need the original vid card install disk. If still bad, get a new card.

thanks for the suggestion .. ill be sure to try it out soon once i get my hands on a new video card .. does the video card have to be agp like the one currently in the computer?

If you are borrowing it - no. If you are buying it - might as well, you may need a replacement.

hey thanx guys .. yall have been a great help .. but uhh .. just an additional note .. my lil bro was playing on it before it happened and he was playing partypoker and it froze so he resetted and this all happened right afterwards .. i hope this might be some extra clues as to what it is

PartyPoker" - installed or on-line? It may have "frozen" because the card/software failed at that time.

it was installed and hes played on it a lot already .. just happened this time around .. oh and i tried out that backup video card thing .. and it didnt work .. i used this old pci video card that was still functional .. but it still restarted when loading agp440.sys in safe mode .. anyone else can help please?

ok, i just tried unplugging all my cd drives and for some reason .. it still does the same thing .. but right before the restarting happens .. i can see a blue screen flash really quickly

Make sure the hard drive is plugged in firmly to the motherboard and the drive. Had an exact problem like this in this office this week and that's all it turned out to be.

Aside from that, when your PC POST's, try hitting F8 and booting in safe mode. (if you can boot in safe mode, that's a step in the right direction). Then just check all connections/seatings of hardware and peripherals.

Cheers!

You are throwing a BSOD - Blue Screen of Death fatal error, and your settings in System Properties for Startup and Recovery have checkmarked an automatic restart on such errors.

Start in Safe Mode by hitting F8 early and often. right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and uncheck the box.

You want to see the error message. Restart normally, write the error message down and post it back here. You likely can find in Event Viewer the previous errors. Post them back here.

thanx guys for putting much effort into helping me out .. but i cant even boot into safe mode .. just restarts when its loading the agp440.sys in safe mode .. any other ideas??

You can try this... and it will only work if your hard drive is not NTFS (FAT32 is o.k.) and if you know your way around old DOS commands.

Make a DOS boot floppy (get from bootdisk.com) and set the computer to boot from the floppy. The DOS 6.22 bootdisk found there makes a bootable floppy which also contains attrib.exe and edit.com files.

If c:\boot.ini is read only, you might have to turn off the read only attribute with this command:
attrib -r -a -s -h c:\boot.ini

Edit c:\boot.ini on the computer to add this boot option switch /BASEVIDEO[/u]

Example:

Old: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

New: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /BASEVIDEO

Save the file, then set the computer to boot from HDD.

With any luck, the computer will boot using crappy 640x480 video. You can then use Device Manager to re-install your video drivers.

Sorry, excuse my screwed up /BASEVIDEO[/u] HTML. Just add /BASEVIDEO

i got it to work .. thanks anyways though guys .. i had this boot disk thing .. and like .. i booted into it .. and did checkdisk .. and then whacked my computer a couple of times .. and now it works for some reason .. thanx though guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back