Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Automatically Boots in Recovery Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITadvice

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2008
US

I got a new hard drive because my original hard drive was giving me problems. I used the recovery disk to install Vista on the new drive. It formats and installs Vista fine. But during the process of installing the original software the computer has to restart. When it does, the computer goes to the recovery phase rather than loading Windows and continuing with the installations. What could be causing this?

What do you mean by "recovery phase" is that a Safe Mode options screen with among other options a Startup Repair option?

Prior to loading the original supplied and installed programs, but after the successful installation of Vista, did you load any Windows Updates, Service Packs, or other third party programs?

Are you able to load Vista via Safe Mode, or Last known good configuration?

Do you have any option to run Startup Repair?

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

If you get some access via Safe Mode see if you can isolate the program or driver from the original software that might be causing the problem.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

If you can't access Safe Mode try ChkDsk C: /r from a Command Prompt in the Recovery Environment, you could try System Restore from there too.

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

See how many unsigned drivers you have running on your machine. This article will guide you on the instructions but all you have to do is type sigverif in Start Run.

How to identify unsigned drivers using sigverif utility in Windows Vista

Linney,
During the process of reinstalling the factory software the computer restarts. Instead of loading Windows it goes directly to the system recovery (as if I pushed F11 on boot up). The first time it does this it says "The recovery has failed. Please select one of the following" and offers two options: Details & Retry.

When I click on details it brings up a file called CTOERROR.FLG. In file I noticed two issues.
1. SKU & Models Region Check: WARNING MISMATCH
2. LogFile4L C:¥SYSTEM.SAV¥video.log =>FAILED (I'm not sure what the symbol is, I used the yen)

Any idea what they mean or how to remedy them?

The recovery disks for my laptop can only reformat and reinstall the factory settings. I can't load Vista or Startup Repair.

Is this a HP machine?

There are some threads on Google which I checked but the first one I looked at went on for pages and pages and was talking about a batch of corrupt recovery Cd's from HP. Sorry I gave up after reading part of it but if you want to look at it you can.

Problem with Recovery DVD and DV 9500t

This is a link to a Vista Recovery CD (just the recovery side) which will allow you access to some of the items I mentioned in my first reply should you want to try some of those options.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download

And here are a couple of links about the (Retail) Vista Recovery Environment.

A Vista Wow - The Recovery Environment

Have a look at what is available to you via what is referred to in this link as "a mini Windows Explorer".

Windows Recovery Environment

Thanks for the links...yeah I have a HP dv2620. HP is sending me another set of recovery disks. If they still don't work I'll try some of the methods suggested in the forums.

I'll keep you posted..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back