Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CompTIA Network+ Exam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBee19

Technical User
Oct 6, 2010
CA
Hi all,

I have booked the CompTIA Network+ exam in the next couple of weeks. I have been studying for well over 6 months using Todd Lammle's CompTIA Network+ Study Guide. I find his books to be very informative and easy to follow along with.

Does anybody have any advice on which topics to possibly really sharpen up on? I've got my head wrapped around Class C Subnetting well, Class B so-so. Should I really be aware of routing protocols? Any advice would be helpful as I'm really excited to obtaining this next certification.

When I took it here is what it mainly covered. It covered the basics of the OSI model. So just know the different layers and what order they belong. It covered different networking protocols like tcp/ip,ipx,appletalk,etc. Also you need to know about different types of networking media other than ethernet like token-ring, fiber optics and coax. I encountered older protocols like POTS. It didn't want to know in great detail about any of these things but more or less wanted to know that you knew what they were. Hope this helps

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Learn the different media types, connectors, cable types, and signaling distances for the various types of networking. Learn what is copper, what is fiber, etc. That's the one part of the exam that I found most irrelevant but there were enough questions on the practice exams that I did that I made it a point to memorize them. It was worth it.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I've got 5 more days of studying and I want to know which topics to really zone in on. I know subnetting is a big part of networking. How much of the exam covered knowing subnetting down to a tee?

I expected that they would want you to ensure you know the OSI model top to bottom, as well with the different media types. All of this is very helpful as I do not want to mess this up. I just hate thinking about wasting $250!

I don't really remember a bunch of subnetting questions. It seems as is if I had 4-5 pertaining to subnets. As said above knowing media types and distances those media types can cover. Different topologies ring, mesh, star and so on. There is a link on comptia's website that has the objectives. Here it is:
Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Minimum score to pass is 720 out of 900. I got 785/900 pts. It got a little tough near the end. I was nervous I wasn't going to pass!

CompTIA A+

MrBee,

Congratulations... Don't forget to update your signature to list your new certification achievement. So what's next? CompTIA Linux+ or another??? Cisco, Juniper or Microsoft... There are also some other good Linux certs out there such as the LPIC certifications and the Red Hat RHCT and eventually RHCE. Whatever path you choose good luck and again.. congrats!

Billy Haines
CISSP Associate, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Mr Bee............Congratulations.......... hope you find a place where you can use it.......Comcast dowes a lot of networking and I think they use cisco stuff you could also benefit from ccna Good Luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back