Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compression not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcsanadi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
US
We are running 2000 Server SP4, Backup Exec 8.6, DAT 20/40 Backups were working just fine, A few weeks ago they stop at 19GBs and ask for another tape. We have tried new tapes, Upgraded to Be 9.0, Put in a different tape drive, still stops at 19GB, any ideas why compression would not be working. I have verified many times that the program is set to do Hardware compression otherwise software.

How much data total are you trying to backup? Does the drive support compression?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

We usually backup 26GB, I has worked great for two years. this just started happening. It is a Seagate DAT 40.

This may sound funny, but try backing up a few less gig, say 22 or 23. I wonder if 26 is just too much to compress, so when it gets close to the end of the tape, it realizes its not all going to fit, and is prompting for another tape.

Break the job down. Your data may just have outgrown it. Not uncommon for a device supposed to give you 40gb compressed, and you get nowhere near that number.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

i am having the same problem. my backups stop at 18gb. i used to use dds3 which hold 12/24gb & now I use dds4 which hold 20/40gb & still have the same problem! Is the compression failing? did you solve your problem cman327?
Also is there a special procedure when using new tapes for backups? I'm using backup exec 8.6

No, Split the backup between two days, gettin ready migrate to a new server, and a bigger tape drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back