Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergiordz

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2006
US
Hi all

I use fbackup to backup a HP-UX 11.31 server.

I´m worried because I just noticed that I´m backing up around 50 GB in a DDS4 40GB tape with no error!! How can it be possible?.

I didn´t configure the parameters taken from fbackconf_file (person in my position before me did it) And I think some of these parameters are making compression possible.

blocksperrecord 256
records 32
checkpointfreq 1024
readerprocesses 6
maxretries 5
retrylimit 5000000
maxvoluses 200
filesperfsm 2000

Any Idea?

Thanks a lot
Sergio

What is the tape device called? This might give a clue as to whether it's compressing. In Solaris, for example, it's often /dev/rmt/0c for the compressed device.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

KenCunningham

Thank you for your answer

My device is /dev/rmt/0mb

This seems to be the device for 'Berkeley' bahaviour, and doesn't necessarily help in identifying whethe the device is using compression. My guess is that it is, inasmuch as one would expect modern drives to operate at the optimum compression unless instructed otherwise. Perhaps someone can confirm that this conjecture is correct?

I take it you're not receiving amy errors when doing the backup?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Can you restore it? (or at the very least, list the entire contents of the tape?)

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back