Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compound Index 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPACAccessWiz

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
I have a project where an Oracle database is linking to one of my tables. The Oracle guey has asked that the table have a Compound index on fields: [DateWorked], [DepartmentID], etc.
Insted of the Simple indexes on these fields.

How do I create a compound index in Access.

IN TAble design view, click View\Indexes

In the leftmost column, specify a name for the index, in the next column, give a column name, then on the line below, give another column naem and so on for as may columns as you want in the compound index, then specify in properties, if index must be unique etc Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

I believe that what Ken has described, is a simple index, which the oracle guy does not want, and which I have already indexed the table.

What I need is a single index on many fields?

Hi

that is what I have described

IndexName1 Col1
Col2
Col3
IndexName2 Col1
Col5

This gives you two indexes, the first comprising three columns, the second comprising two columns,

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

So I found the answer,

If you want a "Compound Index"

Select only ONE name for all of the fields in the field list, leave the name field blank in the others, so in my case:

Name: Fields:
Date Worked field1
field2
field3
field4

Thanks for your help

Hmm. That looks EXACTLY like what Ken was talking about.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back