Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complilation & Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

elziko

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
GB
Once I've finished and compiled my project how do I find what files (.dlls etc) I have to supply with it for it to run on other peoples computers. I have VB5 so I dont have the deplyment wizard thing or whatever it is.

elziko

You have the VB5 version of the Package and Deployment Wizard if you have the Pro or Enterprise edition. Go to AddIns menu and select Add In Manager (this might be on Tools menu in VB5?) Anyway, there you can select PDW to be added to the Add Ins menu. Then you can select it and run it and it will build the package for you which will include all necessary Dlls, OCXs and etc that your app needs to run on target computer. View the setup.lst that it creates to see all the names.

I do0nt seem to have that add-in. Must have a non Pro or Enterprise edition. Any other way of finding which files I need?

elziko -

You can make a start by opening your project file in notepad, and looking at what you've got references to. In addition, you should ship the MSVBM60.DLL (VB runtime). If you do any data access, you should ship the latest MDAC_TYP.EXE (available at msdn.microsoft.com/data). The tricky part comes in where you have to look at your list of references that you've used, and figure out what their dependencies are.

Chip H.

Here's a freeware util that displays all loaded modules for a program/process. This util has saved my a** more than once!

Keep in mind that not all modules listed are to be distributed (kernel32.dll, etc). And if your app uses ADO, you'll have to distribute MDAC_TYP.EXE instead of the ADO modules.

Most of all, test your distribution package on a clean OS (fresh installation of OS only. I use Win95A.), be patient and thorough.

Welcome to world of Windows application deployment!

Craig Boland
cboland@sark.com

Yeah, if you use HandleEx, you *must* know which modules not to distribute. Especially if your app makes use of the internet explorer control or advanced windows controls. Surest way to permanently crash a system is to attempt to install shdocvw.dll on it!

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back