Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complicated Query or Simple???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbsb1106

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
US
I really need help with a query I am trying to make. This query is kicking my butt. I have not been working with mysql for very long. I am still somewhat of a "noob" :)

ok a litte bit of background on this query I am trying to come up with.

I have two tables that I am trying to get certain things from each.
Here is my basic table structures:

Table 1:
clans_gametypes
this table has 4 fields in it.
id, db_field_name, desc, image_name
this table has 42 rows of data in it.

Table 2:

clans_games_played
this table has 44 fields.
id, clan_id, and 42 other fields that are named the same as the 42 rows of data that are in the field db_field_name in table 1.

the db_field_name field has 42 rows of shortened game names that are the same as 42 of the fields in the second table.

The thing that I need to do is get all the info for the field image_name data in Table 1 that = "yes" AND clan_id =(a variable that I have from another query) in Table 2 in the 42 shortened game name fields that are in Table 2.

I hope I explained what I need good enough for someone to understand what I want...lol

I thank you in advance for you time...Thanks

if the id field is the same in both tables you can do this:

select * from clan_gametypes inner join clans_games_played on clan_gametypes.id = clan_games_played.id where clan_gametypes.(whatever field)='yes' and clans_games_played.clan_id='(whatever)'

this will give you all the data that that meets the criteria you have described. if the tables do not have a link, you can't really pull the data you need.

hope this helps...

From what I can glimpse of your description I think that you need to redesign your data model. As soon as you talk about having row values matching column names you are on the wrong track.

Thanks all. I decided to redesign my data model. I am going to take the clans_games_played and make it a little simpler. I am going to take all the fields that equivilate to all the game names and delete them and add 2 fields. I am going to make 2 fields in that table one called game_played and another called game_id. I think that maybe then I will be able to make this work :)
Only problem is that if I do it that way it will be inserting 42 rows of data into that table for each clan if they happen to play all 42 games :)

Does that sound like a good idea to you ?
Does any one have a better idea or is that good enough?

Thanks
jbsb1106

Oooops...I just thought about something.
Maybe I won't need the one called game_played. Just the one called game_id. :)

jbsb1106

Thnx SwampBoogie.

I was thinking about the idea for a little bit, but I was dreading changing things up.

You helped to nudge me into it..lol.

I got it done and all is working well.
Iwill post a link to the site when I get it launched and all bugs worked out if any. Just in case any one wants to visit it and critique it. [smile2]

Thanks again all

jbsb1106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back