Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdverner

Technical User
Mar 10, 2005
GB
hi All,
I have a spreadsheet with 5 rows and 10 columns.

Each row details which 10 parts makes up that product. Each cell has a numeric input.

What i want to do is compare Product 1 (Row 1) to Product 2 (Row 2) and COUNT the number of different parts between the two Products. I want to record this say in Worksheet 2. i.e. Row 1....2= 5 Parts different.

I then want to run this comparison again between Row 1&3, 1&4, 1&5.

I will then have a list of comparison between each.

How can this be done?

Its puzzling me somwhat!

You want to compare Row1 to the other rows and not, say, Row2 to anything but Row1? And, to be clear, the difference is a single number equal to the sum of the column differences?

I wish to compare Row 1 to Row 2.
Then Row 1 to Row 3
Then Row 1 to Row 4
Then Row 1 to Row 5.

Each row contains 10 part numbers. What i want to do is compare the 10 columms of Row 1 to the 10 columms of Row 2 and count the number of differences between each:

For example
Row 1: 1 2 3 4 5
Row 2: 1 2 3 4 6

This would result in an output of 1: As in Row 1 Column 5 Part 5 is used, however in Row 2, Column 5 Part 6 is used. The remaining are all the same, so 1 is recorded alongside which rows were compared.

A loop would then go back to check Row 1 to Row 3.

This is starting point anyway. I trust this is the clarification you sought, apologies for the ambiguity!

And what have you tried so far ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV,
I have tried various attempts at simply comparing one row to the next:

=IF(A$1=A2,0,1)

AND

=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(J:J,ROW(B1))),"",
INDEX(C:C,MATCH(SMALL(J:J,ROW(B1)),J:J,0)))

to discover differences and then simply counting them.

I currently have the num of rows and columns counted and began to construct a for loop to repeat until it equals my total number fo rows?

A starting point:
Dim r As Integer, c As Integer, n As Integer
For r = 2 To 5
n = 0
For c = 1 To 10
If Cells(1, c) <> Cells(r, c) Then n = n + 1
Next c
If n Then MsgBox "Row 1...." & r & "=" & n & " Parts different"
Next r

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi,

Your data is not normalized.

I'd start by restructuring the data as...
[tt]
Product Component
[/tt]
In your particular case (thus far) each Product ONLY contains 10 components. VERY strange indeed, in the manufacturing world.

Once you data is thus restructured, it will be a snap to use any number of differrent Excel features to do this data analysis.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] A man who jumps from a bridge in Paris, is…
INSANE! [tongue][/sub]

FYI...

check out

NORMALIZE Your Table using the PivotTable Wizard faq68-5287

Skip,
[sub]
INSANE! [tongue][/sub]

Skip,
Many thanks for your input.

The data is normalised now, 1 Product has Many Components (10 in this example).i'll not bore you with why this is!!

What I want to ultimately achieve is to discover the best way to schedule making these 10 products..

If i know that Part 1 and Part 9 have 8 Components the same, then I will make thse together, rather than make parts 1 and 2 together which have only 2 Components the same.

Comparing which components are the same will reduce the process of making the 10 Parts.

I trust you see the angle of where I am coming from, to deem why this is necessary?

But shouldn't you then have 10 comparison results for each comparison? Just getting a single number doesn't tell you which parts are the same, right?

Hi Bong,
All i want to know is the number of different parts are different, what parts they are doesnt matter.

From the number of differences i can work out downtime etc.

Then isn't what you're trying to do the same as comparing the sum of the parts? If so, just add a column summing the total parts and sort on that column.

Hi Bong,
Not really, as each cell contains a PartID, with parts going up to 250, summing them will not work?

You ought to be able to use MS Query via Data/Get External Data to query the SHEET (Table) that has your normalized data.
[tt]
SELECT
A.Parent
, B.Parent
, Count(Component)

FROM
`D:\My Documents\MyStuff\dbBOM`.`Sheet1$` A
, `D:\My Documents\MyStuff\dbBOM`.`Sheet1$` B

Where A.Parent<>B.Parent
and A.Component=B.Component

Group
By A.Parent
, B.Parent
[/tt]
gives a list like...
[tt]
ParentA ParentB Common Part Count
p1 p2 1
p1 p3 1
p1 p4 2
p1 p5 3
p2 p1 1
p2 p4 1
p2 p5 2
p3 p1 1
p3 p4 1
p3 p5 1
p4 p1 2
p4 p2 1
p4 p3 1
p4 p5 2
p5 p1 3
p5 p2 2
p5 p3 1
p5 p4 2
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
INSANE! [tongue][/sub]

if you have 2 ranges in which you want to know how many cells are the same try the

=NB(EQUIV(range1;range2;0)) confirm by ctl+enter to get a matricial formula

--------------------------------------------------
[highlight]Django[/highlight] [thumbsup]
bug exterminator
tips'n tricks addict

Oops this is a french formula

In english this must be

=COUNT(MATCH(range1;range2;0)

Hope this help !

--------------------------------------------------
[highlight]Django[/highlight] [thumbsup]
bug exterminator
tips'n tricks addict

Skip,
Mnay thanks for the heads up on Query. Its not something I have used before, it would be much appreciated if you can point me where I am going wrong...

in order for your query you shown me to work how was the spreadsheet constructed?

Like this?

Col A Col B
1 1
2 2

etc?

Hi Skip/All,
Ignore my previous post, I have been playing about with it...

I now get the error in MS Query:

Could not add the table ''c:\tool\Book1'.Sheet5$''.

any idears....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back