Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely Weird. 9600 phones need deodorant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dufus2506

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2004
US
Ok... this is going to seem weird. And a bit disgusting. But I need a sense of how widespread this might be before I decide what action I need to take with my users.

A user of mine complained that the handset of her 9600 style phone had a bad odor.

If you smell the earpiece, it DOES have a really disgusting smell. (Like a smelly gym locker.) The mouthpiece has a similar smell, but less noticeable than at the earpiece end.

I replaced the handset, and passed it off as a simple thing, perhaps left there from something she touched earlier that day. But then I started checking other phones, and they TOO had the same terrible odor.

Anyone else care to give their 9600 phone handset a sniff?

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

:)

So you need to put your nose on to it to smell it
What is that user doing all day ?

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Just a question. How many of us looked a our handsets and gave them a sniff???

ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

I did to test this smelly thing but no funny smell on my test 9650 over here :)

How old are the phones???

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

These phones were just put in service this summer. (june/july)

They're 9630G sets.

Maybe they spit alot ???

Mine smells like dried blood but I think that's because I beat myself bloody with it prior to every Mon morning meeting.

Otherwise no unusual scents to be reported.

Did you get the phones from a different supplier. Sounds like a cheap batch that didn't make it through Quality control. Cheap bakelite used that smells like P*ss when the temperature rises.

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

I got these from an Avaya supplier. They were new, unopened boxes sealed with the "Avaya tape" seal.

I'm guessing they're made the cheapest way possible, but I would hope it's not that cheap!

Is it possible the cleaning staff are using something on them?

Allright, gotta confess....

I closed my door and sniffed my phone. I don't think I want to do that again, once was enough.

There was no odor emanating from my 9630D01A with a firmware version of 2.0.

Maybe you want to get some Oxyclean, a Sham-WOW and put a little elbow grease into cleaning those things!

The longer the phone is in use, the more it will smell. The smell is not from the phone...but rather imparted onto the phone from the user(s).....I assume the earpiece smells a little different than the mouthpiece?.....maybe the earpiece smells more like the body odor of an ear and the mouthpiece more like the smell of bad breath? :)

Oddly enough, any phone I check has the same odor.

It's pretty bad. A lot like armpit.

However, phones that go unused for any length of time seem to have no smell at all.

Must be something with my phones. Glad to see that it's not widespread.

I would try to contact Avaya and ask about Insite Article KB01005254. Here is an excerpt from PSN 1010U The 9600 Integrated Gigabit Adapter (material code 700383771) generates heat that may be perceived by a user as unusual. The
temperature is within the development specification and the product is UL certified and does not indicate a problem with the product. The 9600 Integrated Gigabit Adapter may, on initial power up, create an odor as the unit heats up. This odor will dissipate within 20-30 minutes and does not indicate any malfunction or represent any harmful emissions. It is recommended that the 9600 Integrated Gigabit Adapter be installed in Adapter Slot #1 on a 9630 IP Telephone. Adapter Slot # 1 is the left slot on the bottom of the phone as you look at the phone bottom side up.

You don't work in a place that has a lot stuff flying around do you, like a dead animal smelter or something like that??

and no I did not smell my phone.

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

I think I just got a bad batch here.

Inside each handset is a bit of foam rubber that is used to keep sound from traveling straight from the mouth piece to your ear.

My guess is that foam rubber wasn't stored well. It may have been sitting in some smelly water or something before it was cut into pieces and stuffed into my handsets.

Thanks everyone for checking. At least I feel I can order a replacement handset or two to take care of those folks with especially sensitive noses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back