Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete OS & data transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebus147

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
GB
I want to upgrade my 40Gb drive to a 120Gb drive, is it possible to slave the 120 drive, copy over the entire "computer" then remove the 40 drive and use the 120 as a standalone master?

Yeah, get a program that can copy partitions like partition magic.

I know there are other utilities out there, and maybe even some free ones, but I have always used partition magic without any failures or problems whatsoever.

Good luck!

ghost.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Norton Ghost.....just to add to edfair (his advice is still correct, I'm just giving a good software).

RiceBoy
Rice Boyz Society
RiceBoyRicer@hotmail.com
(613) 355-7163

Many drive manufacturer's have a free utility to do this - check out the site of your 120GB drive's manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back