Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2003
GB
Hi, I am an MCSE 2003 and have now decided to get to grips with a real oprerating system :) Is this the place to ask for step by step advice or would anybody like to reccomend an alternative forum.

I have just installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 10 but I had to go for a non networked install because I run a Linksys cable router. Now the OS is installed and running fine but I want to configure the system as a DHCP client.

I run ifconfig -a and get the following output

lo0:flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

I am presuming that this means the NIC is installed and running correctly? So what I need is a step by step guide to enabling DHCP on this interface.

Regards
Andy Banwell

Hi Andy, the lo0 interface is just the loopback interace. I presume you have another NIC installed? You need to get your system to recognise it, possibly by doing a boot -r from the OK prompt or by creating an empty file called reconfigure in the root (/) directory and then bouncing the box with a shutdown -i6 -g0 -y to see whether the NIC is then picked up. Try a keyword seach in this forum for sys-unconfig and dhcp too, there have been several to my knowledge.

Hey Andy,
First off I have to laugh at your real Operating System comment... I have been telling our Windows Admin for years he should start working on a real OS...

Also check to see if you have a file /etc/hostname.<interface type>... Should look something like: /etc/hostname.eri0

If not, your workstation has not been set stand alone without network support.

Firstly, thanks for the help so far :) I have tried everything from the posts so far.

During re-boot I get the following:

Configuring Devices
Hostname: Solaris10
Feb 23 12:38:33 svc.startd[7]: svc:/network/rpc/keyserv:default: Method "/usr/sbin/keyserv" failed with exit status 1
Feb 23 12:38:33 svc.startd[7]: svc:/network/rpc/keyserv:default: Method "/usr/sbin/keyserv" failed with exit status 1
( network/rpc/keyserv: default failed [see 'svcs -n' for details) ]

This probably has nothing to do with the problem but hey !!

Also I cannot find a file called defaultrouter.

Regards
Andy Banwell

I nearly forgot! This workstation was initialy installed as standalone non networked as Solaris 10 has a problem with Linsys cable routers. So I should have made my first question, How do I install networking manually?

Regards
Andy Banwell

The easiest way is to run the command "sys-unconfig".
The workstation will reboot at the end of the process. Upon reboot, the system will run sysid. You will need to know the following:

nodename
Networked workstation?
Select primary interface... (Only if there is more than 1 interface in your workstation.
IP Address of workstation
Subnet?
Subnet Mask?
Name Service (NIS NIS+ LDAP)
Name Service Server and IP Address
Default Router IP Address

I might have missed a few entries... For the most part, I think I covered everything.

Before you do the command, be sure to check to see if there are any special entries in the /etc/hosts file since sys-unconfig will over write it... I can assume there isn't any entries besides local host since thie workstation is not set up to run on any network.

This process isn't very painful. As long as you have all the information.

Thanks, I am now sending this post from the ultra 10 :)

I still have one small problem and that is the system does not have a hostname as the cable router will not supply one?

Any ideas greatly received

Regards
Andy Banwell

Check out my web site My next project is to move it from IIS6 to Apache on solaris.

You don't really need one do you? All you need is the IP address in /etc/defaultrouter. You can put an name (any name> in /etc/hosts so you can resolve the node name to IP address

The only problem is with sendmail, It keeps saying that the machine is an unknown host and therefore sendmail does not work.

Regards
Andy Banwell

Look at /etc/hosts see if your workstation nodename and IP Address are listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back