Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete Ex2k Newbie needs help with smtp setup..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Ive just started working on the server side after several years client side and am working at a new company.

We have EX2K installed on a W2K Advanced Server,
Internet is provided through a Netpilot (Linux Based ISDN router)
Clients running Win2k & Outlook2k or XP

My problem is this,

Our internal Mail system works perfectly, but I need to setup external mail. The people hosting our domain have given us their pop3 and relay (smtp with authentication) servers which both work fine as I can send and recieve mails through OE from the client machines.

I hunted for about 2 months to find out how to get exchange to collect emails from a pop3 server, but have been unsucessful so I eventually got a 3rd Party program (WorkgroupMail) doing it for me, and it is working fine, but how do I get exchange to send external emails to the relay server?

I think it has something to do with adding a connector and I've tried this, but the number of options is completely baffling me, and the MS info about it is sparse to say the least.

Any help will be Very gratefully received!

--

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

Setup a "smart host" on the SMTP Virtual Server. I think it is on the Advanced Tab. This will be the IP of the "relay server". Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thanks Dan,

I've gone to the Advanced Delivery Tab on the Virtual SMTP server.

Is the 'masquerade domain' our registered domain we registered for email? eg company.co.uk
If not, what do i put in here?

The fully qualified Domain; what do I put in here?
Its currently got the domain 'company.demon.co.uk' which is our old email domain and our AD domain, but if I change it to our new registered .co.uk domain, and click check DNS, it says that it isn't valid.

In the smart host, I have put "relay.ispname.net.uk" but how do I put in the username and password?

Currently, when I try to send an email that is outside the company I get an email immediately back saying:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

dashrendar@flashmail.com on 8/8/2002 09:42
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
<companyname.demon.co.uk #5.0.0>

Thanks in advance

--

Dash
&quot;I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back